Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm rebuilding my rear end and installing a new track lock and 3.80 gears in mu 65 coupe. The drivers side axle came out very hard (I had to rent a slide hammer) and it looks like it's not going back in any easier. I did a test fit last night without the carrier installed and the bearing is very tight, tight enough it won't slide in easily. What is the best way to put these back in? I don't want to damage my new bearings beating on them with a hammer but I'm not sure what else to try. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I take some emery cloth (or very fine, like 400 or 800 grit sandpaper) and clean up the housing just a little bit, but they're definitely a tight fit. I don't think I've ever had one slide in "easily". It takes some tapping.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take some emery cloth (or very fine, like 400 or 800 grit sandpaper) and clean up the housing just a little bit, but they're definitely a tight fit. I don't think I've ever had one slide in "easily". It takes some tapping.
thanks, I’ll try cleaning things up tonight. Would a little lubrication help or should they go in dry?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Axle was a little tough coming out and when putting it back in was the same. I kept rotating the axle a few splines until I was able to shove it home. Brian

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
thanks, I’ll try cleaning things up tonight. Would a little lubrication help or should they go in dry?
Yeah, I put just a little bit of grease on the outside to help move it along.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned up the flanges and the axles went right back in. Niether side is flush with the end of the axle tire however. It looks like the new bearings are a little wider than the axle allows for. Is this an issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a caliper to the bearings and they are about an 1/8 wider than the race in the axle. Do I need to have thinner bearings pressed in or is it ok to have that slight protrusion?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts