Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are plenty of cheapo brands available online. But I'd rather have dependable than cheap.
Is there a preferred brand for relays?
Is there a preferred style?

I'm just doing headlights for now. But will probably do horns and DRL later.
So I'm considering this nice prewired box, but I'm not sure I want to shell out the mulah. I could move my electric fan relay to the box as well.
It looks like a nice quality piece.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I stick to Bosch relays which you can get cheap. Buy some relay harnesses as well and forget that $150 relay pack.
Screenshot_20210408-040427_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Use Bosch relays, they are all wired the same so there is no real reason to get the prewired relay block, especially for the money they want for them. You should move the horn relay on your list to the ones you are doing first.
Here's my relay gang, set up for the fuel pump, reverse lamps, fuel door lock and electronic e brake. It's not completely wired yet.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I bought some Relays that have the fuse for them built into the side of the relay. So it makes for cleaner wiring and if the fuse blows its easily replaceable with another fuse found at any automotive store. Unfortunately I had a tough time finding a really expensive set so I had to buy a cheap set like $16.00 for 6 of them. I'm only using 2 on my EFI setup so I threw the others in a box in the trunk incase I ever have a break down. They also could be switched with a bosch in a pinch but you'd have no circuit protection.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
There are plenty of cheapo brands available online. But I'd rather have dependable than cheap.
Is there a preferred brand for relays?
Is there a preferred style?

I'm just doing headlights for now. But will probably do horns and DRL later.
So I'm considering this nice prewired box, but I'm not sure I want to shell out the mulah. I could move my electric fan relay to the box as well.
It looks like a nice quality piece.
I did similar to that box, but did not buy the pre-built. I went with 14 ga output wires and 6 ga input. 8 ga would have been too small for a 5' run to the battery.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
There certainly are some cheap relays out there...the ones that came with my relay box are pure garbage and don't seem to stay working once I try to crank the car. I replaced them with some other generic relay I had laying around and those worked fine. If I really cared about brand I would probably choose Bosch though....relays don't fail often in my experience...these garbage clear relays that came with my relay box are my first time actually running into a problem with one that doesn't have 100K+ miles on it.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
FoMoCo relays and box from the junkyard. Cheap, plentiful, and reliable enough for modern cars so they work fine in the old car.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
2nd Bosch

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,427 Posts
Bosch or Potter&Brumfield. (Both OEM suppliers to Ford.) Ones that say "China" on them I throw straight in the trash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts