Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is up on jack stands. Took off coil spring with compression tool. Put it on the floor to back the tool off the spring. As I was backing off on the tension, I felt like I did not have enough threads left to fully release the pressure. So, I put it back on the car and released it. Did I grab too much spring length? Or did I just not have enough thread in to start with?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of compression tool are you using? I used the OTC 7045B without issues. Do you have some pictures?
It’s just like this one

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to try and use your OTC or whatever Autozone has. Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've used those style of spring compressors several times that you rent from the auto parts store. You have to get a 2"-3" or so section of pipe make it work properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Springs finally out. Expanded the double jaw compressor to 15 1/4” so I knew it would have enough to release tension. The springs were actually 15 1/2” standing free. Driver side top shock mount bolt was spinning so I cut a screwdriver slot in it and got the nut off.
Thanks to all of the replies, helped me out greatly. 🍺

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rented the OTC spring compressor from auto zone. Had time to set it up before work. I’ll compress it tomorrow.
I did not like this compressor, just didn’t like it’s method.... and went with my first one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts