Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember what the fix was for the recall back in the 70's.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm not sure there was a fix. All I can remember is getting a warning decal from Ford to stick on the dash.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The one I remember about this was only for the column shifter and the fix was in the column itself. The handle would rattle out of park while idling and gravity would shift it into reverse and then the car would take off.

The detent was changed in the column on the new models and the problem dissapeared. I'm not sure if they ever did a recall to repair the previous ones.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think the guy with the steering column idea is right. I remember in High School one jumped out of park and nearly squished his knees on the car if front of it. We removed the drive shaft but the column shift was oh so sloppy. I have no idea what to do though. Sorry couldn't be more help

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The shifter design was poor (IMO). The outer sheath of the shift cable anchored to the bell housing with two rubber insulators. The insulators became oil-soaked in time and became sloppy, caused the bracket to be loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts