1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm a fan of 1911's. Great pistols, pretty accurate, can be modded by almost any gunsmith. Someone even made a pair out of meteorite metal, looked spectacular with a price to match. I prefer double stacked .45's to the singles, fit my hands better. Hard to improve on perfection, 1911's being just about perfect...

You know you're going against the current trend of 9mm's and Glocks being the "it" guns, right?

I'd look at a bunch of others just to make sure before I bought it, but if that one tickles your fancy, go for the gusto...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Remington shotguns and rifles? I'm there.
1911s? I am familiar with a Colt, a Springfield, or a Kimber.
Not a bad-looking piece. I'd like to shoot one and compare the above for the price. The R1 is apparently made in my State, Alabama, I am glad our people can make a contribution to the Second Amendment for those citizens that hold that right, and a purchase is a good thing. USA.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
You know you're going against the current trend of 9mm's and Glocks being the "it" guns, right?
I'm really bucking the trend...GP100, stainless, .357. My favorite handgun to shoot.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I have a Colt Combat Commander in stainless, had the trigger action smoothed by a gunsmith. It will out shoot just about anything, including a Kimber. It's probably my favorite piece, except it is a PITA to ****. The stainless slide is slick, even with the serrations. For a home defense handgun I think that my S&W 6" .357 is a better choice.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's a good looking gun, Hickok45 likes it... I haven't considered Remington handguns but watching this video makes it look like a pretty good gun. If the price is right and it's what you want then go for it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've had an R1 for about 8 years or so, and it's a very nice gun.
I've had no jams, or any other problems with it, and it shoots as accurately as I can.

I'm not a Tier 1 operator, just someone who likes to poke holes in paper.

·
Registered
994 Posts
One more thing, I'd check GunBroker or Armslist for a better price, Cabela's and BassPro are high on guns. Here's the stainless version for $625, you'd have to pay shipping (usually $25-$35) and transfer fee at your local gun shop but probably not any taxes. Still could probably get it for under $700. Not sure what Cabela's price is but I am sure it's more.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: NIB - REMINGTON 1911 R1 STAINLESS .45 ACP 96324

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'd like to shoot one and compare the above for the price. The R1 is apparently made in my State, Alabama, I am glad our people can make a contribution to the Second Amendment for those citizens that hold that right, and a purchase is a good thing. USA.
Just a little fyi for you folks in LE who may not know. Glock has a Blue Label program where you can buy 2 guns a year at a price lower than their dealers pay.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just a little fyi for you folks in LE who may not know. Glock has a Blue Label program where you can buy 2 guns a year at a price lower than their dealers pay.
I may have a couple....hahaha ! Thanks!
@Rebel Racing Only stainless gun I have is a Taurus PT-99-AFS. Very tight and accurate, easy shooting, just not the best for concealed carry.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Thoughts? OMG I have thought for years gun prices have gone crazy, but...! Too many hoarders like with cars?
What is it about that one? Thats seems to me like semi-custom or VG vintage price for a 1911.

Never cared for adj ramps on a handgun unless you are striking matches with it regularly. Too many sharp edges and enough variation in heartbeats and ammo unless you are buying match grade stuff.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
cant go wrong with a quality 1911, the remingtons are from what I hear a good entry level 1911 that will do everything you want it to do and then some.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies Guys!! I haven't even handled this piece yet but from what everyone says it will do me well. Probably will buy local if the price is even close over mail order--like to support local if possible. Might be a year off since the disposable $$ goes to the car and then whatever is left over (like that ever happens, LOL) goes to fun stuff that I really don't need.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I am big fan of 1911 and .45 ACP, my truck gun in compact version.

This is far from the first time Remington has built the 1911. They, along with Colt, Savage, National Cash Register, Singer Sewing Machine and others built them in both WWI and WW2.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I am big fan of 1911 and .45 ACP, my truck gun in compact version.

This is far from the first time Remington has built the 1911. They, along with Colt, Savage, National Cash Register, Singer Sewing Machine and others built them in both WWI and WW2.
WW2 Remington Rand's were from the typewriter company not the firearms company, typewriter business was sold in 1886 with the ability to keep the remington name. Singer made an extremely small(500ish) run of 1911's for WW2 to test how fast a company could be switched to firearms production, these are now the holy grail of 1911's, stamped S. Mfg Co., Savage made replacement slides for WW1 1911's, National Cash register was awarded a contract but never produced pistols due to the armistice but made M1 carbine parts among other items for WW2. WW1 1911 mfgs were Colt, Springfield Armory(the government armory not the current private co), Remington UMC, and the other holy grail North American Arms Co. of Quebec(several other companies like savage and National Cash register were awwarded ww1 contracts but again the war ended before production began). WW2 production of 1911's were by Remington Rand, Colt, Ithaca Gun Co, Union Switch and Signal, and Singer.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
WW2 Remington Rand's were from the typewriter company not the firearms company, typewriter business was sold in 1886 with the ability to keep the remington name. Singer made an extremely small(500ish) run of 1911's for WW2 to test how fast a company could be switched to firearms production, these are now the holy grail of 1911's, stamped S. Mfg Co., Savage made replacement slides for WW1 1911's, National Cash register was awarded a contract but never produced pistols due to the armistice but made M1 carbine parts among other items for WW2. WW1 1911 mfgs were Colt, Springfield Armory(the government armory not the current private co), Remington UMC, and the other holy grail North American Arms Co. of Quebec(several other companies like savage and National Cash register were awwarded ww1 contracts but again the war ended before production began). WW2 production of 1911's were by Remington Rand, Colt, Ithaca Gun Co, Union Switch and Signal, and Singer.
Yep, but it was WW1 when Remington produced their first 1911, they were marked Remington-UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge Co.) so yes, Remington has a LONG history with the 1911.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Rebel, what caliber are you looking at ? and do you know how the barrel fits at the back ? does it have the link like most 1911s ? if so, is the wedge / ramp ( Petr Stahl ) upgrade available ? I am shopping also, but in 10mm. LSG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts