Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried searching, but my google-fu is not strong enough on this. My son and I have converted to Fi-Tech, and also put in a large cap HEI distributor and are having a spot of trouble with an air cleaner. I could probably buy an offset base and just use a regular aftermarket air cleaner, but my son wants to use a remote cleaner similar to a newer car or a cold air intake. Has anybody done this, and what direction did you take? I could probably fab the duct easy enough, but I can’t find the portion that bolts over the carb (bonnet?) that is not in an expensive setup. I am not sure about the filter end either. I am not real fond of the K&N style conical filters, but I could live with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I need to figure out what to do with the air pump system. It does function, and I may need it to pass emissions if I can’t use the collector type insurance due to him being a new driver. So I don’t want to wreck it, but may remove it, and then figure it out later if I need to put it back on for emission testing. Anything special I need to do to remove it? I think the only real issue is dealing with the injection point at the rear of the manifolds. I haven’t really looked closely at it, but as I recall there is a fitting bolted on back there.

thanks,

·
Registered
35,959 Posts
I have tried searching, but my google-fu is not strong enough on this. My son and I have converted to Fi-Tech, and also put in a large cap HEI distributor and are having a spot of trouble with an air cleaner. I could probably buy an offset base and just use a regular aftermarket air cleaner, but my son wants to use a remote cleaner similar to a newer car or a cold air intake. Has anybody done this, and what direction did you take? I could probably fab the duct easy enough, but I can’t find the portion that bolts over the carb (bonnet?) that is not in an expensive setup. I am not sure about the filter end either. I am not real fond of the K&N style conical filters, but I could live with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I need to figure out what to do with the air pump system. It does function, and I may need it to pass emissions if I can’t use the collector type insurance due to him being a new driver. So I don’t want to wreck it, but may remove it, and then figure it out later if I need to put it back on for emission testing. Anything special I need to do to remove it? I think the only real issue is dealing with the injection point at the rear of the manifolds. I haven’t really looked closely at it, but as I recall there is a fitting bolted on back there.

thanks,
How about an early Bronco V8 air cleaner?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts