Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the main battery cable, inside the cabin or underneath? Any recommendations on protecting the cable?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I ran the welding cable inside through the sill area. Wherever it contacted an edge or changed direction I put the cable inside garden hose. Has been maintenance free since 2004.

Mark

I just bought a gear reduction starter today as I just relocated the battery as a part of this engine rebuild. The fact that is has a solenoid on the starter in somewhat more centered of car might help with a little bit shorter battery cable.
New Powermaster 200amp alternator too and this is what powermaster recommended.
I’ll make final decision on starter cable run tomorrow but I’m likely to run it under car along inner frame rails. I do have frame rake connectors so that makes it a bit easier.
I did buy some heat protector to put on cable around headers.
That path in the sill, up kick panel, to firewall, around shock tower to starter just seems like a LOT of extra trouble and Extra wire.....
My batter my is right behind my seat between frame rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Question for those who have done this.
The old brown coil resistor wire on the right side of old solenoid, if I’m reading correct, when going to a gear ready reduction starter with solenoid integrated, and using a full MSD ignition, the brown wire is no longer needed and can be avoided.
Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts