Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm throwin the battery in the trunk and decided to put a remote dual oil filter set-up where the battery was. I have a hydraulic lifter (non-roller) 302 with a regular oil pump. Will I need to put in a high volume oil pump or will the pump I have in there now be enough?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I went with a single remote filter on the 460 when I did the swap....The motor had 18 to 20 pounds of oil pressure at idle...couldn't get the valves adjusted to quiet them down. I removed the remote oil filter system and installed a 90 degree adapter. Now the motor has 55 pounds of oil pressure at idle (hot) and the valves are quiet as can be...
You couldn't give me a remote filter system, now....

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Actually, the oil pump has little to do wth the install do's & don'ts of a remote filter system.

The pros: The oil stays cleaner, longer, less chance of oil starvation during initial fire-up.

The cons: The filters must be mounted in the down position (not up where the oil can drain out) and regardless of what the manufacturers state, the hose lengths to the filters should not be longer than 3 feet. The hoses must also be buit for high pressure, high heat applications and at least 5/8" internal diameter (3/4" or 1" is best) Anything less than this will cause an oil starvation problem upon initial fire up and really cause internal wear.

FYI, I would also avoid any primary aftermarket filter which has a micron filtration rating of less than 10. 99% of the filters that are rated less than that do clean the oil better but severely restrict oil flow and are not designed for street vehicles......racing & farm applications only! What is also a very effective are secondary filters which use a trickle system directing a small portion of the oil continuously through a very fine filtration system. You can pay anywhere from $50-$200. Amsoil has one that uses their "Special Filter" (very, very pricey) but there are other systems out there as well that use paper towel rolls as filters and toilet paper (Franz) rolls also. Regardless of any rumors that one might hear, the paper towel & toilet paper filters are very, very effective...as good as any of the high priced filters on the market and I cannot find anyone who can stand up and say that the engine they personally own was ruined by one of these systems. They have been in use since the 1940's and are even recommended and installed by large truck manufacturers (diesel).

I have a Franz unit on my stang which I replaced the original one that was installed when it was new.....240,000 miles later when I bought the car from my folks (the original owners), the engine internals were still in very good shape, the valve seats were a little bit tired causing oil burning at a rate of about 1 quart per 1000 miles (Hmmm, about what the new car mfg's say is normal!). I replace the OEM filter annually, the Franz filter (toilet paper) is replaced about every other month and the only time I change the oil is when the I detect the start of contamination (by ph readings or moisture content) which I check after storing for the winter, annually. Aside from the initial rebuild and the multiple oil & fluid changes that I do for the first 1000 miles, I have only changed the oil 3 times, in 15 years, 12,000 miles later. The oil is visually cleaner than when it came out of the bottle and with my garage kit and the one time oil analysis I paid for a couple of years ago, the oil is almost "spotless" of contaminents.

G

·
0 Posts
Keep it simple, FL1-A. I have a vast experience with these things, I've thrown away 3 dual remotes & countless singles. I have a van/Boss 429 pivot on my E-350 MHome & my 8 second drag car. Anything other than that & you're asking for it. BTW, I'll argue to the death anyone that puts down my System1 filter... the way to go!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I believe that changing often is the key.
I do have a remote AMSOIL system on our 1995 GMC Submarine, with the 6.5L Turbodiesel engine. 110k on the clock and it purrs. I change the oil once a year, around labor day and have it analyzed. The oil always comes back with an OK viscosity rating and the TBN (Total Base #) is starting to deteriorate. In my mind, just the right time for a change...

I have considered a remote filtration system for the Mustang, just haven't gotten around to it....

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Interesting. Maybe a remote oil filter would bring my pressure down, since mine runs 65 psi hot in D with the brake on. . .

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
since mine runs 65 psi hot in D with the brake on

Never argue with good oil pressure, unless it gets over 80 psi with the stock driveshaft...

I'd leave it alone...likely all you have is tight (tight end of stock) bearing clearances...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Remote Dual Oil Filters...Hi vol oil pump needed?

Unless this is an endurance performance app, I'm with PrairieBronze....leave the oil filter and pump alone..

Only reason I moved the filter on the race car was because the R/P shaft and anti blow-back struts interferred with the stock location. Otherwise, it'd have a stock filter in the stock location....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts