Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have to ask what the point of a hydraulic clutch booster would be? As an example, the hydraulic clutch in my beater(2005 Mazda 6) is already so light that when I am bleeding the clutch I actually just use my hand to pump the pedal rather than a foot. I guess that various clutches are going to be varying weights, depending on the bore, but still...I would like a least some amount of pedal resistance.
WHen I added my hydraulic system I designed it to be the same leverage as the existing zbar system. It made absolutely no difference in pedal pressure. SO, the hydraulic system in and of itself did nothing to lighten the pedal. Exactly the same. I went down in the master size and it helped pedal pressure a little but its still a healthy push with a Spec Stage 1 clutch and about the same as every other clutch I have run on this car. I drove a Boss 302 with a Centerforce and about shoved the pedal through the floorboards it was so easy. If they werent so heavy and expensive, I would go that route.

I might be able to get one of these assist units cheap and thought I would try it...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
WHen I added my hydraulic system I designed it to be the same leverage as the existing zbar system. It made absolutely no difference in pedal pressure. SO, the hydraulic system in and of itself did nothing to lighten the pedal. Exactly the same. I went down in the master size and it helped pedal pressure a little but its still a healthy push with a Spec Stage 1 clutch and about the same as every other clutch I have run on this car. I drove a Boss 302 with a Centerforce and about shoved the pedal through the floorboards it was so easy. If they werent so heavy and expensive, I would go that route.

I might be able to get one of these assist units cheap and thought I would try it...
Fair enough, I tend to forget a lot of people run heavier clutches than I like(at least there is some advantage to choosing a relatively low torque v6...will probably end up somewhere around 310 ft/lbs). There are also electric assist options(though that might kill feel)...or at least I know there are for brakes, so I assume you could adapt that for a clutch as well if needed if you can't find something specifically for a clutch

21 - 23 of 23 Posts