Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a nicer way to mount a harness bar in the car.

I came across this clamp on eBay.
2 Steel Clamp 1 75" 1 3 4 inch Universal Roll Cage Light Bar Mount Tube Weld On | eBay

Seems like a cleaner solution than welding two tabs to the rollbar. I also like that I could adjust the height of the harness bar if I ever change my seats.

Do you think these would be strong enough to stop the harness bar from coming off the rollbar in the event of an accident? Once it's clamped in place, the two bolts are basically holding it together. I'm guessing that the blind holes are less than 1/2" deep too.

I guess the fact that one side is welded to the harness bar and half of the clamp is wrapped around the tube helps keep it together too.

I don't want something just based on appearance...want to make sure it helps save my butt if I get into an accident. I'll be using 5 point belts in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer to have the bar removable...in case I ever decide to put the rear seats back in the car.

The rollbar is removable, so I guess I could just weld in the bar and if I decide at a future point to put back seats in, I could just take the rollbar out and worry about modifying the harness bar then.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
What is the car used for, street only, or some track ? Most would say a 4-pt. bar is not safe for rear passengers in any event. The hoop and back stays are a head-knocker for rear passengers. To be truly effective, you need a diagonal in the main hoop anyway.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be a street car. If it ever does see the track, it would probably just be an HPDE at a place like VIR.

It's a Shelby style roll bar, so I don't think passengers in the back would hit the bar (as long as I don't have a harness bar installed).

I installed it so I'd have a place to attach a harness bar...I want 5 point belts in the car. I know this type of bar doesn't do anything to really improve the stiffness of the car.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Ah, I remember that rollbar now. I've had the same internal debate, how to have a safe, removable harness bar. (for me and rear passengers)

This doesn't look too bad, the way it's welded to the rear "c" makes forward belt loads pull it "into" the main tube. :
http://actoncobra.com/images/020514 120 (Medium).jpg

Or this:
How to Fab and Install a Roll Bar - OnAllCylinders

The hard part in either case is making sure the brackets/hardware are strong enough. most bolt-in solutions still leave a bracket for the passenger to hit.

Another option would be a double-shear bracket where the 2 "plates" are welded to the removable tube, and straddle the main hoop, which would have bolt sleeves welded into it, 2 per side. hard to describe.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-34-343/9-3.gif

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Here's the thing about roll bars/cages. To use anything more than a 3 pt belt system, you need a roll bar WITH a diagonal bar so it has some strength in the event of a crash/rollover.
With no bar a 3 pt will let your torso bend over in the event the roof caves in. With 4pt belts or more, your body will stay upright and your head becomes the first thing that gets compressed. If you have a roll bar with no diagonal support, it will collapse leaving your head to compress.

Personal opinion here, if you think you might track the car AT ALL, go overboard on the safety stuff. A cage, whether bolt-in or welded with 5-6pt belts will have a far better chance of seeing you walk away from a crash. Don't think for a minute that you are safe just because you might only take the car to the track one time.

It's your car and your life though. You do what you think is best. I'm just passing on info as seen through my eyes.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Agreed, that's why I won't do PDX's or DE's in my street car. If you're going close to racing speed, it carries the same consequences. On the street, the gray area gets a little larger, at what point is a roll bar an improvement or detriment to safety. For instance, Jeep rollbars do help, even without a diagonal, but they still have 3-pt. belts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts