Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to preserve my lower ball joint if possable (trying to avoid pickle forks). I bought an adjustable pitman arm remover and do to size limitations within the spindle its hard to get set right on the stud of the ball joint. Any others have an answer. The upper came off without any difficulty. I have tried screaming and speaking in tongues but that doesn't even work!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Try hitting the spindle with a hammer right where the ball joint is. I have done it in the past to break them loose. If worried about hitting the spindle with a hammer use a block of wood between them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Grabber70Mach said:
Check out the bottom of this page. It might help you out.

http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/spring
Yeah, that's a good idea. I've had good luck with this method, except mine wasn't as fancy. Just bolts screwed into about a 3" long coupler nut. Unscrew it to the right length between the ball joints, and keep tightening. Once it's really tight, whack the side of the spindle. I've had really tight ones that took repeated iterations of tightening and whacking, but they eventually gave way.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That tool is used for removal when both arms are in place. My spindle is held on only by the lower.
I'm not sure how hitting the spindle which sits on top of the ball joint will pop it off.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
try jacking up on the lower arm and with a bfhammer hit the side of the spindle where the stud of the ball joint goes thru the spindle. the shock and the weight of the spindle should make the lower arm separate. wes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts