Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to remove my brake pedal assembly on my 69 FB. I have the entire upper and lower dash removed. Do i have to remove the steering column to drop the brake assembly so I can replace it? Or can I do this with the steering column still installed. Seems pretty cramped in there with the column still in the way. What is the PIPTA factor to removing the column. Everyone said the lower dash would be a huge PITA. I did not think it was too bad. Just a little time and patientce. Oh yeah and alot of labeling and pictures to help me put it back together :)
Thanks guys..

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Actually you can remove the pedals without removing the steering column. You have to snake it out but it is possible, as i installed mine with the column still in the car and mine is a 70. What you can do is remove the 5 or 6 nuts on the bracket that holds the column to the lower dash. With this bracket removed, you can move the column up and down probably 6" or so. If you really really want the column out of the car for other reasons, there are 5 or 6 bolts holding the column to the firewall and are accessible from inside the car. You then will have to remove the 2 nuts at the rag joint that holds the column to the steering box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts