Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been all afternoon screwing with this thing.

It came out fairly easy, TDC on the compression stroke, oil pump shaft stayed where it belongs.

I marked the body with the rotor pointing at #1 plug wire.

On the install I couldnt get the dizzy to drop down with the rotor pointing at my mark. (Left of the mark on install and it rotates clockwise)

I finally put the cap on and found that my mark didnt line up with the rotor and #1 plug wire.

How did that happen? Engine didnt move, Im the only one that has touched anything and the timing pointer is where I left it.

The dizzy is installed, the vacuum advance is pointed where it was when I pulled it (I took a a pic), the rotor is pointing at #1 plug wire.

Is all well?

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
I think you're okay. The gear teeth are helical, or spiral, not straight up and down, so it has to turn just a little is it comes out or goes back in to line up. Just check with a dwell meter and / or an inductive timing light when you get it warmed up.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Surely you would think it would drop right in. One thing I figured out the hard way is that there are too many different factor to get a new one to drop in in exactly the same place as the old one, at least on a V8. The # of teeth on the gear (I'm not sure how many) and the hex shaped oil pump shaft just don't jive. If there were 12 teeth, it should drop in at every other tooth. This doesn't seem to be the case. I messed with mine for forever to try to get my #1 spot on my cap to be where I wanted it. I finally gave up and made #1 where it was willing to drop in.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
I think maybe once in my 50 years of fooling with distributors in Ford V8s did I ever have one drop right into place, meshing with oil pump drive as it went in. The simple fix when it doesn't mesh up is to put downward pressure on the distributor housing and turn the crankshaft a few degrees. The distributor drive gear will turn with the camshaft and as soon as the oil pump drive hex lines up with the distributor shaft hex the distributor drops on down. And since the cam and distributor gears were meshed the timing doesn't change.
It seems to me that Ford "fixed" this issue on the 5.0 engines by lengthening the distributor shaft so that it engages the oil pump drive before the drive gear teeth begin to mesh with the cam.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,133 Posts
A new distributor or reinstalling the one you took out? If a reinstall then in theory it should drop right in. But..... If installing a new one then no, as the gears are never drilled in the same spot twice.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
What I did when I installed mine is: I put the rotor on, dropped it in and watched how far it turned when the gears engaged. Pulled it out, set it behind 1 the same distance and dropped it back in. Had to wiggle it a little, but it went in and spun to the right spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts