Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the car back from paint today, went to install the louver and one of the screws gripped and then kept spinning, chipped the paint real good!

I had to pull up on the screw with a pair of needle noses while unscrewing to get it out.

Problem is, now I can't get the insert out at all. I tried drilling it, it just spins. I tried reinserting the screw and pulling up, nada.

Thankfully I have a new install kit (once I get this out), and I can take the car back to the shop to fix the paint.. I'm just at a loss on how to get this thing out! Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
I have no idea where these nutserts are located on your car. Can you get access to the back side and hold it with a pair of pliers while you drill it out?

·
Registered
35,922 Posts
You need a bigger drill bit and one that's really sharp. It needs to be almost as big as the flange on the insert. Set the bit on top of the insert and put some decent pressure on it then start the drill SLOWLY and let it peel away the top of the insert... the rest will fall down inside.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea where these nutserts are located on your car. Can you get access to the back side and hold it with a pair of pliers while you drill it out?
Car is a 1969 Sportsroof, sorry!

Located on the roof, can't access the backside

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need a bigger drill bit and one that's really sharp. It needs to be almost as big as the flange on the insert. Set the bit on top of the insert and put some decent pressure on it then start the drill SLOWLY and let it peel away the top of the insert... the rest will fall down inside.
I tried that once, it just spun and wouldn't cut into it. Someone on 69stang recommended I grind away the top flange and let it fall in.. might do that

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
I suppose if the headliner was out you could gain access to the back side to hold it. In lieu of removing the headliner I'd take a Dremel and a small burr and grind the flange off as suggested.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you have the nutsert tool, how about trying to tighten up the one that’s in there. The tool I have is like a rivet tool but with a threaded end. Or you can make your own tool with a bolts and a few washers and anti-seize. Videos on YouTube with details.

If it works, you won’t damage the paint any further and won’t have to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have the nutsert tool, how about trying to tighten up the one that’s in there. The tool I have is like a rivet tool but with a threaded end. Or you can make your own tool with a bolts and a few washers and anti-seize. Videos on YouTube with details.

If it works, you won’t damage the paint any further and won’t have to replace it.

Thanks Dan! I'll give that a try if I can get a grip on some of the threads

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I do have the tool and this worked, thank you!

I was able to grab 2 threads with the tool and pull it up just enough to grab a couple more threads... all sandwiched together now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts