Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I searched but Couldn't find what I was looking for.

I want to Know how to remove the Trunk lock Cylinder from its chrome housing.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I'm not sure if 65 is different than 67, but on the 67 there is a clip holding the cylinder inside of the trunk. You pull the clip off with some pliers and it's free.

G

·
There should be a little button on the 65 and 66's that you have to push to release the cylinder. My button was frozen and had to be "coaxed" out and I ruined the lock cylinder. You may also have to rotate the key in the cylinder but not 100% sure on that one

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see that button and It wouldn't budge with normal human force, and I tried a few light taps with a punch to no avail. I tried both of these in many key positions. At that point I figured I was doing something wrong and decided to ask! The housing is crap I want to replace it but the cylinder is still good.

·
Registered
639 Posts
As mentioned above, insert the key and rotate it about 45* then use a small drift to push in the pin at the rear top of the chrome housing. The lock cylinder should slide right out.

G

·
My pin acted the same way even with the key being rotated. Thats when the "coaxing" came into play..."coaxing" =small punch and hammer and purchasing new parts. HTH

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am so glad that I am not the only one who believes that:

"If it won't come out, you are using the wrong size hammer."

I have a 5lb sledge that is a good motivator for any stubborn part. I usually just have to set on the floor next to me, and then the part behaves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts