Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a simple task for some of you, but I am unsure as to how I would remove the driver's seat in my 69 Mach 1. Could someone assist me with some step-by-step directions for removing and installing??? THANKS!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Jack car up. On bottom of floor pan there are four holes Some might have there rubber plugs in them. You have to use and 9/16 socket with an extension. Unbolt four nuts seat pulls out. It's helpful if you have someone uptop to hold seat in place as your removing nuts. Or the seat falls backwards and puts stress on the seat bolts.They can possiblty (STRIP) Mike

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Here is a very helpful tip that saved me from losing the bolts in the body of the car forever:

Use a paper towel roll (cut down to whatever size suits you) and insert it into the holes in the floorpan. That way, when the bolt comes loose, it can't find its way into the body of the car and will drop straight down the tube. ::

Use the same method when reinstalling the bolts.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
What a great idea! :highfive:

·
Registered
771 Posts
You can push the seatback forward which will balance the seat and prevent it from falling backwards when the nuts are removed. You should be able to do this without lifting the car unless it sits very, very close to the ground. Those four nuts are the only thing holding the seat so lift it up and remove it from the car.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I can't take credit for it though. I learned it on the VMF. ::

Pushing the seatback forward will work fine when removing the bolts if you don't have a helper handy. However, when reinstalling the bolts, it is best to have someone sit on the seats so you can properly tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The only thing I can add is that most of my studs broke when I tried to remove them. As suggested by a VMFer years ago, I replaced them with stainless steel carriage bolts and nuts. Two sides will have to be ground down so they fit down into the seat track. Putting the seats back in is harder since the carriage bolts are not pressed in like the original studs. You may try spraying the studs down with some sort of penetrating oil before trying to remove them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts