Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled my 8" rear end out to change the gearing and I can seem to get the axles out. I removed the 4 nuts in the drum and spend 30min on it with a slide hammer. :shrug::shrug:

I guess I should get a bigger slide hammer. Any tips and tricks would help, before I pull the sledge out. Thinking of bolting an old drum on backwards and beating the hell out of it. Car is a 68 and this is the first time its been pulled apart.

Thanks Jay

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My guess is the bearing is holding it up. Seeing as this is a good time for new bearings & seals, maybe a little heat will help? I've never had as tough a time as you are, but I may just be lucky.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Il give the drum a try but my slide hammer is heavier so I dont see it working. I will try some heat to. Im going to fasten a heavier slide hammer tomorrow.

Thanks for the imput

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got them out had to turn the drum backwards, snug up the lugs and smoke it with a sledge until it came loose.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It sounds dumb but sometimes you can go Hillbilly on it....take about 3ft of rope, tie one end around the axle, the other end tie to a cement block...swing the block to pull the axle......don't laugh it works, just don't let your buddies see you..kinda like riding a moped... :)
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts