Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove a C4 Transmission from a 65 Fastback. How the heck do you get at the transmission cooler lines nuts to remove them before dropping the transmission? There is no room for a line wrench or any regular wrench for that matter. Is there a special tool for this?

·
Registered
705 Posts
On my 68 Coupe C4 I’ve had the benefits of a lift doing my tranny pulls 4th time 2 weeks ago! I drop the cradle and lower the tranny about 3-4” and it makes getting the 1/2 lines loose or tight nice and easy. Use a line wrench. First time mine were so seized they busted up and I just replaced them.

Without a lift and tranny jack it’s a fight! You’d probably have to get one of those shortened wrenches. I’ve relatively small hands and I struggle for room in there.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have crow foot wrenches and a universal joint swivel. Didn't think of using that combo. I'll give it a try.

I have the car up on jack stands so I'm on my back doing the tranny removal using a floor jack. It sucks but it is what it is. If I cant get the lines loose with the crows foot wrench and universal joint, I'll try dropping the trans a couple of inches to get better access.

Both good suggestions. I have a plan A and plan B. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Yeah, working on your back sucks. I had success with dropping the trans crossmember to let the tranny hand down for extra room to work. I have crow's foot line wrenches now, but managed for many years with regular line wrenches. I've also dropped the tranny down and away from the engine a bit, then taken the lines off. Reversed the process when it went back in.

Reactions: markb0729

·
Registered
35,976 Posts
Option #2, if you're not going to reuse the line, is to snip it off at the tube nut and use a 6-point deep socket.....

·
Registered
705 Posts
Option C you could possibly disconnect the tranny lines at the radiator cooler and just drop the entire length of the lines with the tranny, take them off once the tranny is removed! Getting the lines freed up all the way back to the tranny might be it's own kind of hell though!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reviving this thread so I can give it some closure. The crows foot worked great on the cooling line towards the back of the trans. I had to drop the trans a couple of inches in order to get the front line off because the nut was a bit boogered up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts