Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i actually just read this in a post, but figured i would give the question it's own post... what is the best way to clean heads? (I mean in a do-it-yourself kinda way)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Believe it or not, soaking in water is the best way to remove carbon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that safe!? I guess you just take the air compressor to it afterwards? should i put any soap or degreaser in the water?

·
Premium Member
7,710 Posts
Are they still on the car? An exciting way to do it is to rev the car up, and pour 1/4 cup of water about every 20 seconds down the carb. Just don't have anything behind the exhaust pipe, because a world of crud it coming out.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If the heads are still on the car and the engine is in running condition, the water down the carb bit works well. Just be careful not to dump too much down too fast, but as long as you are careful, you'll be fine.

And my method of removing the carbon from the combustion chambers, valves, and piston tops.... a scraper and a wire brush. It was a pretty thick layer of carbon on some spots, 1/8" thick, and it was packed tight! The scraper followed by the wire brush/wheel worked for me. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I never said it was safe, I said it was effective! ;) Just kidding, it should be fine to soak them for a day and then blow them off with the air compressor so they don't flash rust. The carbon will be so loose most of it will come right off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts