Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I finally bought a replacement trunk lock cylinder today. So today, I removed the rear seat and crawled into the trunk compartment to remove the striker plate and trunk latch. I put a thermometer in the trunk because I remembered how hot it was the last time I was in the trunk. It got up to 114 degrees. Not very pleasent when you also have to smell gas fumes. I got the trunk open from the inside and I removed the locking mechanism. I need to know how to replcace the cylinder part of the mechanism.

I got the cylinder at Mid County Mustang along with an exhaust manifold gasket and some bolts. My dad and I were talking with Pat (owner, great guy) about removing the exhaust manifold. He told us it is very easy to snap the bolts. He gave us some PB Blaster to use. He said we should heat the manifold with a torch and remove the bolts slowly. He said they do this in the shop and they still break bolts. If an exhaust manifold bolts breaks you have to remove the head and take it to a maching shop. Now I am very worried. I cant afford a machine shop bill. The Mustang funds are running low and I need to make sure I have enough $ to pay for the labor for the exhaust system.

So how do I remove the cylinder from the rest of the lock?

Sorry that was so long.

Thanks,

Justin ::

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Remove the sleeve assembly retaining nut, washer, spacer and and sleeve.

Turn the key 1/8 turn clockwise from the locked position, depress the cylinder retaining pin and remove.

This from the Ford Manual. I remember it being tricky and once I got it out went DUH!

Frank ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I wouldn't heat the manifold any..The bolt doesn't have any threads contacting the manifold therrefore if you heat that area the heat is actually transfering to the bolt and, if anything, is expanding it where it is actually threaded into the head. Use the PB blaster a couple times..get up in middle of the nite to hit it once or twice if needed andd hope for the best.....
As for getting to the trunk lock.twenty years from now after being fed regularly by a caring wife, toss in the couch potatoa nd beer syndrome, gravey desk job..let's see you do that manuvere again!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm assuming you accessed everything from the trunk because you don't have the key. If you don't have the key then that's your problem. The prior posts describe the procedure and it involves inserting the key into the lock. If you don't have the key then you're out of luck as far as doing it by the book.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the key but it doesn't seem to work. It will go in the cylinder all the way but the cylinder wont turn. The key is fine, I think it is the cylinder that doesn't work. When we first got the Mustang I could open the trunk with no problem. Now it doesn't work. I went back to Mid County Mustang today and got a new cylinder sleeve as well as bolts for my header. Now I have to drill out the pin so I can remove the...the little bar that comes out the end of the sleeve...I forget what it's called. Now I have to find the chuck for the drill...where did it go... ::

1 - 9 of 9 Posts