Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the ebrake cable on my 66 fastback and I cant seem to find info on how to remove and pull the cable through the housing. Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.
thumbnail.jpg

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
100 Posts
Get a small hose clamp and tighten it around the 4-prong spring clip. Leave a little space between the clamp and the backing plate. When the prongs are pulled together, you can wiggle the cable through the backing plate.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I thought I might have to replace my e-brake cables. After I got them out, I cleaned them up and lubricated them with motorcycle cable lube. I was surprised how well that improved their function. I am now planning to re-install these originals.

The e-brake handle and cable were also pretty stoved up, but a thorough cleaning and lubricating restored their functionality as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Jherrud, what motorcycle lube did you use? Won't that collect unwanted dirt? I am considering replacing my cable as it has stretched over the years and I am out of thread on the adjuster (even added some additional threads). OP, I like the hose clamp idea. When I did it, I used pliers which was a PIA.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hi MWM, I use Motion Pro Cable Lube. I use this on both street and dirt bikes about every 2-3 years. No problems with gunking so far and one of my bikes is 23-years-old. The lube is quite thin - not like a grease product. I haven't used other products to compare, so I don't know if there's another product that would work better.
Jim

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a small hose clamp and tighten it around the 4-prong spring clip. Leave a little space between the clamp and the backing plate. When the prongs are pulled together, you can wiggle the cable through the backing plate.
Thanks, It worked perfectly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts