Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping i could get some guidance on removing my front fenders. I have a 67 Mustang and my car has been in the shop for months trying to get the car from stop leaking. The body shop thought they fixed it. however, its not, well partially not :chainsaw:. They fixed the window leak and also when water enters the cowl it doesn't leak. However, when water enters the seam between the Front Fender and the cowl...it leaks. I removed the heater box and can see it leaking in the upper corner. I need to get the fender off to see more where the water could be leaking. What is the best and easiest way to do this. Im not the best with body work. Much Appreciated..

Joey Rizzo

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
The best way is to go slowly so you don't chip or scratch your paint.

Obviously, all of the bolts that attach the fender to the car must be removed. Don't forget the 2 lower bolts in the underside fender area and the upper bolt hidden in the door jamb above the upper door hinge.

However, before you do that, you need to:
Get the bumper off;
Get the grill trim removed;
The outside bolts for the lower valance
The stone guard bolts
The front fender to radiator support bolts
Loosen the radio antenna bezel if it is mounted in the fender;
Disconnect the headlight harness (removal of the headlight may make this easier but is not absolutely required);
Then, using Painter's tape cover all the edges of the fender and door that might get dinged during the removal/installation.
Use 2 people to carefully remove the unbolted fender and place the fender in a safe spot where it won't get damaged.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
The front fenders are pretty easy. The key is finding all the bolts that hold them on. There is one at the back on the underside that points straight up, there is one where you have to open the door, and it is visible above the hinge, and I believe (know it is on 65 66) there is a bolt behind the kick panel, where you have to pull out a rubber grommet near the antenna wire.

After than, just take them off right down towards the front. The lower valance is held on by 2 (real boggers).

With these off, you may be able to GENTLY pull the fender away from the windshield area, pivoting around the headlight area, enough to get access to where you need to be.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just did this last weekend. I thought too i had a windshield leak that was causing 2 of the leaks i had. I had the windshield resealed and took care of one. The other one was behind the fender. When i pulled the fender all the seam sealer was cracked and old which was causing the leak inbetween the panels. Clean it up well and get some seam sealer and seal it back up. Check for any rust holes and such. I did this in a day. Wasn't too bad. You can let it sit for awhile to make sure it dries completely but you really don't have too because the fender doesn't touch where you apply the seam sealer.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You really need to remove the fender to fix this correctly.
I would go ahead and remove the bumper and do both fenders - if the other one is not leaking it will before too long.
Even if you have not done this before, I would think you could completely remove one fender and clean out the old seam sealer, replace the seam sealer, paint the inner fender with some rust coating and paint, and replace the fender in one day without being in a big hurry.
I would also clean out the cowl and shoot paint inside it while I had the fender off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts