Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 6 cyl, head bolt #11 is a stud with a nut in the middle of the stud. That stud goes into the head, passes through the block and goes into the water pump cavity.

The nut keeps the stud from going in to far and contacting the water pump impeller.

Im removing the head on the 200 and I think Im twisting that bolt. Im afraid that Im going to snap it.

I have never had this problem with that bolt, they usually come out pretty easy.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
If the stud goes into a water jacket there is a very strong possibility that the end of it is now coated with rust. Can you see the part of the stud that is inside the water jacket? If there is no access to it then the only thing I know to do is to squirt some penetrating oil below the hex and hope it runs down the shank of the stud. Then slowly work your ratchet back and forth, barely turning the stud. Each time you turn the stud to the left go a little bit farther than you went the previous time but do not try to go too far. Back and forth a little at a time as you continue to squirt penetrating oil under the hex.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a punch on the nut and gave it a couple good wacks with a BFH. Then I put heat on it and squirted PB Blaster on it. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I use Gibbs Penetrating Oil. In my experience PB Blaster, and especially WD40, pale in comparison. It is so damn useful that if I am doing anything where stuck bolts are even a remote possibility, I spray them all down before even touching them with a tool. Then the next morning I am removing them with my fingers.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All 14 out without any casualties!

I pulled the water pump and conned my wife into reaching inside the hole while I turned the bolt. She could feel it moving so I knew I had the SOB.

Now I need to get the head off. What do you think about bumping the starter and seeing if compression will break the tension?

On bent engines I usually just give them a whack or two with a big mallet and they pop right off. Not on these sixes.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hooked teh hoist to the thermostat housing bolts. Came right off.

Case closed

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It's not light, but it's manageable. It's even lighter if you take the exhaust manifold off.

What I do is to bolt a chain into the rocker arm bolt holes to use as a handle (since there's no good place to get a grip on the driver's side.)
Then climb in the engine bay standing on the frame rails in front of the shock towers.
Grab the head by the intake on the left and the chain with your right hand. Lift it off of the block and set it on the fender.
Did I mention to pad the fender well? Pad the fender beforehand.
Climb out of the car and move the head wherever it's going.

As long as you don't have a bad back or something there's no need for a hoist to take the head off.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its heavy but manageable. The tough part is that it is awkward. Best for two people to pull it out of the bay, that way you dont injure yourself or drop it and damage something on the car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's not light, but it's manageable. It's even lighter if you take the exhaust manifold off.

What I do is to bolt a chain into the rocker arm bolt holes to use as a handle (since there's no good place to get a grip on the driver's side.)
Then climb in the engine bay standing on the frame rails in front of the shock towers.
Grab the head by the intake on the left and the chain with your right hand. Lift it off of the block and set it on the fender.
Did I mention to pad the fender well? Pad the fender beforehand.
Climb out of the car and move the head wherever it's going.

As long as you don't have a bad back or something there's no need for a hoist to take the head off.
Are you doing this with the hood off?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
No. Just open the hood all the way and climb in. Rest your butt on the radiator and get your footing on the frame rails and then stand up and lift the head off.

Obviously you need to try and avoid hitting you head on the hood latch, and watch where you sit if you've got one of those radiator caps with the handle on it, but it really is just as simple as climbing in and grabbing it.

Not saying it's the right way to do it, but it's about as straightforward as you can get and using a chain to give your right hand something to grab is way easier than trying to find a grip around the spark plug holes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts