Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to remove and install an oil pickup onto to a new oil pump. Been going through my 351/4VCleveland, It has 96,000 miles on it. Not much carbon (black though) and all the bearings are clean, unscored and show now signs of wear. Bores haven't been bored and don't show any signs of abnormal wear. I'm thinking of cleaning it up, putting in a new cam and running it for a year before doing a thorough rebuild. Also wondering if it is possible to get accurate compression tests on cylinders with the engine out on an engine stand. If I install the heads and crank the engine by hand will i get useable results or does the engine have to be at operating temperture.

G

·
0 Posts
You will get much more accurate results with the engine near operating temperature, but useable results cold. How do you plan on rotating the crankshaft for a compression test with the engine on the stand ?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Unless there's a new method I'm unaware of, I usually just bolt the pickup onto the new pump...*G*

Make sure the threads are clean, use grade 8 bolts and some blue loctite...and don't forget the gasket...

You can run some hot water through the water jackets and do a leakdown test instead of a compression test....

If it's in the 3-5% range, you should be good for another year anyway...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts