Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to remove old paint from a door jamb switch without harming the plastic switch? Thanks!! :)

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I'd try Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner, the one with Lye. Just spray on, wait 5-15 minutes, and wash off, perhaps with a scrubbie or rag. I found EO doesn't affect plastic at all, and works well on cleaning paint off. The only issue I had was that temperatures need to be above 70* for it to work reasonably effectively. The modeling folks use EO all the time to take paint off their plastic models.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I'd try Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner, the one with Lye. Just spray on, wait 5-15 minutes, and wash off, perhaps with a scrubbie or rag. I found EO doesn't affect plastic at all, and works well on cleaning paint off. The only issue I had was that temperatures need to be above 70* for it to work reasonably effectively. The modeling folks use EO all the time to take paint off their plastic models.
Good stuff , I have a console to remove the paint from and that sounds perfect :highfive:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the paint off and it was really pretty easy. Used some laquer thinner and a rag and while I was rubbing it, some of it started to flake off. Finished up with the ol' thumbnail and it came off really nice. Thanks for the tips!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts