Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a less humorous fashion, i wanted to share a rust removal method my great-uncle shared with me.

it's nothing more than electrolysis, but it worked so well i'll share it's simplicity. get a washtub (it has to be metal), a wooden dowel, some wire, a batter charger (with an amp gauge), and table salt. fill the washtub about 3/4 full (enough to cover whatever you're going to de-rust). lay the wooden dowel across the mouth of the washtub. suspend the part from the dowel with wire, making sure the part doesn't touch the washtub anywhere. connect the negative lead of the battery charger to the wire holding the part, and the positive lead to the washtub. turn the battery charger on, and slowly pour in table salt until the needle comes up to 2 amps, then run like hell! no, just kidding. pour the salt in slowly and make sure it completely dissolves before you pour more or you'll have to dilute and start over.

an option to this for multiple small parts is to buy a metal strainer from the grocery store. suspend the strainer from the wooden dowel with wire and put the small parts in the strainer.

the rust will turn to sludge that will come off with soap and water and a stiff brush. the metal will be pitted, but rust-free. i de-rusted a front license plate bracket from a 1971 mustang and it took three hours in the tank. the leaf spring brackets and staggered shock brackets from the same vehicle (laying in the strainer) took about five hours. it's not necessarily fast, but it requires very limited effort.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hmmmm, I think you are reducing the oxidation. Pun intended. The acid in the Coca-Cola was trying to do the same thing; making ferris oxide to ferrous oxide (or the other way, I never can remember). Was any visable staining evident on your wash tub?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use a simmiler method for cleaning civil war relic's,but use a plastic tub and a piece of stainles steel.I don't recall off hand if you hook up the pos or neg to the stainless just that it should be the one that puts off the bubbles.you also place the two pieces as close togethr as possable.in this way much of the rust will be converted back into good metal(less pitting).

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i haven't emptied the water yet, but i haven't noticed any stains. there is a bunch of suds and crud that you first find floating on top of the water eventually sinks to the bottom.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the stainless you use is the anode. i suspect you have a piece of rebar or wire that sticks up out of the water to connect the electrode to. in my case, the entire washtub is the anode. if i understand correctly, it will eventually spring a leak as it deteriorates, just like the piece of stainless you use will eventually go bye-bye.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
LMMFAO....I'LL HOOK MY MIG WELDER UP TO ONE!!!!!! THAT'LL GET IT QUICK!!!!!!

/me gets launched into orbit!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts