Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some horizontal scratches in the quarter window on my 65' convertible. Looks like it was "off-track" at some point in its life and rubbed against the metal. The scratches are not very deep.

Is there any way to remove these scratches? Is there a buffing process, chemical, etc. that could be used to remove them?

I would like to preserve the original glass if possible.

Thanks all.

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Eastwood's has a "Deep Scratch Pro Glass Repair kit" It's been talked about here but I don't know anybody who has used it. Maybe somebody will chime in.
I guess I'm waiting to hear the same thing before I try it.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch, forget about buffing it out. It just won't work. I've heard good reports about Eastwood's product, but it does require a fair amount of elbow grease.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Eric
I had the same problem with my glass (scratches from some idiot who sandblasted without removing the glass).
I tried the product from Eastwood and didn't work. I tried and tried and...............tried. Then I cried because I have to buy new glass. Ouch!
My post is in the wanted ads.

Good luck.

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
When ever I see Midlife's new blue T shirt it reminds me when I was a kid. --On the radio for Lucky Strike cig.---So round--So firm- -So fully packed--So free & easy on the draw.---I know-- I be bad.---Frank.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have two friends who have used a glass polishing kit from (believe it or not) J.C. Whitney. They said the only problem was that if you stayed in one spot too long while using it, you would get a "dimple" in the glass. Other than that, they were both pleased with the results.
I am going to try it in a couple of weeks.

G

·
0 Posts
I've used jewlers rouge... it's a LOT of work. It won't remove anything deep but it will enable you to see through them...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,745 Posts
I bought a "Cerium Oxide glass polishing kit" at a car show. I was after removing or reducing the scratches in my passenger side door glass. The scratches were the result of worn out weatherstripping. I had absolutely no luck. I even bought another spare glass to work on (just in case) so I could really bear down on it. The glass polished up very nicely but this stuff had zero effect on ANY scratches. Other stuff may work better, mine didn't. That's why I put the name in quotes, don't waste your money on this particular stuff.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Years ago when I worked part time for a car rental company one customer brought back a car with every window scratched to h#@$ll. He claimed we didn't have a ice scraper in the car so he used a beer can to scrape ice. The company called a professional window company and they compounded every scratch out, it looked good. Bad part was I had to clean all the buffing residue off the car...
Before you replace let a pro look at it and give an estimate, might be cheaper than you think...

·
Registered
655 Posts
I asked a professional glass guy about this, since I also have some scratches. Apparently there are some systems that will buff out the scratches. One problem was your visability could get distorted, if you buffed too much in one spot. Check your local glass guys.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I did a little research on the internet a couple weeks ago on the same topic. I found recommendations for Brasso, Rouge, Bon Ami and Cerium Oxide. The problem is that they all take time, and if your not careful, you'll ruin the optical quality - distortion from glass that's not flat any more. I'm inclined to go to a local glass shop and talk with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts