Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point in the life of my 69 buckets, the black vinyl dried up, faded a bit. Instead of redying it, someone spray painted my headrests black. Thankfully, they did not touch the seats themselves with spray paint.

If I squeeze them, and them rub them with an old hair brush, a lot of the paint will flake off. The stuff that is left, is fairly stubborn.

Just wondering if you guys have any idea on how to get the rest off. I am concerned that some heavy duty chemicals will ruin the vinyl, although if it is just a matter of ruining the color, I don't mind redying the headrests.

Background info, the seats are original upholstery in driver condition, I want to use them as is for a couple years, then recover. The only parts that look bad are the headrests....

THanks....

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea, I'll give it a shot in the morning. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for taking the time to find that. I will give it a shot and post the results.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Heavy Duty Easy off Oven Cleaner (Yellow can)......only 15min, then rinse, and repeat if necessary, Will not harm the vinyl, Only the paint, and will degrease it at the same time. Would not suggest to use any type of "oil" if you plan to repaint it...which you will of course..

I have redone these similar headrests in the past on my '69 Falcon.. When you goto repaint, Use a light "dusting" of gray laquer primer before you go down with the black vinyl dye.. Your results will be astounding.

Tony K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts