Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 66 FASTBACK AND NEED TO CHANGE THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH IN THE STEERING COLUMN.IS THIS DIFFICULT TO DO AND HOW DO U REMOVE STEERING WHEEL.PLEASE HELP IF U KNOW HOW TO DO.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On our 66 you push in on the center cap and turn to the left a bit to get it off, remove the spring, the
shaft nut, and use a puller to get the wheel off.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
Pretty simple. Remove the horn ring. Then use a steering wheel puller. You can get the puller at any local parts place for probalby less than $10. After the steering wheel is off, the turn signal assembly is right there.

67 Sprots Sprint, Convert. Original C code, now 293 ci with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575962&a=11982331&p=43165927.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you just changing the switch cam, or the whole switch with the wiring harness?

I changed mine with the wiring. I did it by cutting all but a couple of the wires and removing the old bundle, then pigtailed old to new to pull it down through the collar. Pretty straightforward operation.

As many times as I've pulled the wheel I oughta have my own puller, but I usually just borrow one from the parts store for nothin'.

Good luck!

'67 cpe, daily driver

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hey! Look What Zog do! (sorry, old Farside cartoon). What a cool idea using the old turn signal switch wiring to guide the new one! I usually unplug the old one (I think the big square plug requires simultaneously pressing the two release tabs while pulling), tie a string on it, remove the connectors, pull the whole thing out from the top. Then tie string to new wires (removing the connectors), pull the mess back into the steering tube and into the wire guide and then reinsert the wires into the connector.

I also remove the steering tube for better access but is not necessary and there's a greater chance in losing the steering shaft bearing and collar.

Whatever you do, make sure the nut is threading on the steering shaft right and not cross threading. You don't want to have to replace the steering box because the threads got wiped out beyond repair.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Murrays auto parts loans steering wheel pullers for free. You can make one yourself but its not worth the time.

Mike
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zog rules! That's dang funny. What a compliment! Hey, how 'bout a new award for Zogliness! Zogacity! Zogaciousness!

'67 cpe, daily driver

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Wow! I guess no one knows how to pull a wheel without a puller. Take off the horn ring, loosen the
15/16 nut for the wheel, thread it back on a couple of turns, place your left foot against the floor, pull
back on the wheel while you rock it from top to bottom & side to side. I have done it this way for the
past 15 years with no problem. Just make sure you thread the 15/16 nut on fare enough so the wheel
doesn't hit you in the face. Then unscrew the turn signal switch and pull out the wires with a lead on them.
Use the lead to put in the new switch. That's it!!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sounds like you have received a hugh amount of good advice so far. The only thing I can add is to make a note of which color wires plug into which position on the square connector for the turn signal switch if you are replacing the entire thing with the wiring. You will need to pull the wires out of the connector and reuse the connector, if you insert a very small screw driver next to each male metal pin and push the little metal tab inward you can simply pull the wires out of the back, look at the ends of the new wires to get an idea of what they look like. Then insert the new wires (after stringing through the column) into the connector and check the new wires to make sure they don't slip out. If they do very carefully pry the little tab out a little then reinsert it into the connector. Many of us have done this many times, so if you run into a problem let us know.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did this on a 67 and I did need a puller for the wheel. borrowed it from a neighbor 5/16 fine thread bolts..
Also, make sure you received the right one....I had to drill and
install a sheet metal screw as the washer which they sent would never have gone on...
Best of Luck...
There is no better place to find info then here...

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts