Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few small patches of surface rust forming on the under carriage of my 65 coupe.

I would like to get at these areas one at a time and remove the surface rust and clean and coat the bottom of the car.

What should I use to remove the rust, clean and protect, then coat the car, so this stops before anything penetrates?

I know there are several ways to go about this. What would be the best way considering I would need to start and finish these areas in a day or so, (Daily Driver) the car needs to be on the road.

Thanks

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It seems like there are as many answers to this question as there are people who answer. It's my feeling that nothing will actualy completely rid a peice of steel of rust except sandblasting. That is the only thing that will get into the minute craters that the rust makes. If you have smaller areas, you could buy one of those small sandblasters that have a cup like a spray gun and probably work those areas effectivly.

Afterwards use a good epoxy primer and they will not come back, at least in our lifetime.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Like Hal said there are as many answers to this as there are people...If you can not sand blast the area and it is "surface" rust then I would sand and wire brush away the loose rust, use a commercial rust converter like Ras-O-Nil available from Len at www.autobodystore.com (I have used it with excellent results), then coat the area with Corroless or your favorite rust resistant coating (a bit of my undecarriage was red oxide primer so the corroless didn't stand out that much.).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts