Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to pull out the brake pedal and its mounting bracket. I already have the master cylinder out and all the bolts that connect the bracket the the firewall. I also took out the bolts that secure the steering column in place and the set of 3 bol;ts above that that hold a piece that connects the clutch to a spring of sorts, nto sure if that needed to come off or not. I can move the piece that is against the firewall up and down but not the piece that is near the dash. I cant see anymore bolts or nuts to take off, and im kinda stuck. My repair manual doesnt have steps for taking out thios piece, so if someone knows of something im missing or fogot to do or has a set of procedures for taking this out that would be wonderful. AS always thanks for the help, without you guys i would be lost.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think i have all the bolts out, and i have read somethign about blind nuts, where are they? ARe they between the pedal bracket and the firewall or somewhere else? The bracket will move up and down on the firewall but seems to be stuck where the steering column bolts to the other end of the bracket? Please someone, help me:(

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I have only removed them from 67-70 Mustangs, but if it is the same, you need to unbolt the steering column from under the dash.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Like the other post said - I think i ended up pulling the steering colume and there will be one or two more bolts up under near that the underside of the dash. You are right, the shop manual is very vague. Dont sweat the steering column removal - very easy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have already removed the 2 bolts that hold it in place, but the steering column still just sits there on its own hanging down about a half inch or so. Do i need to do more?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The forward end of the pedal hangar has two captive nuts that attach to screws from the bottom. The steering column collar should have bolted to these two nuts.

It may be rusted to the dash sheetmetal. The best way to see all this is to take the instrument panel out and look in from the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts