Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any really good ways to remove old undercoating.

Thanks John
65 Coupe I6
Inline Power

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heatgun and putty knive. :)

Adam

'73 Stang 351W Lightning specs
'72 Stang
'65 Ford F-1
'91 Civic SI

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
If you mean the stuff ford put on the cars, the only way is to scrape and wire
wheel it off. Make sure you use eye protection and a mask of some sort. You can
try some type of cleaner but it will only melt the undercoating and make a big mess.
It takes a long time. After you get it off you will have to use something to protect the
metal or it will rust. I'v herd you can get 13-15lbs of it off the cars. A heat gun will work
also but it is not a safe way to do it. It is some bad smelling stuff.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I did the complete undercariage of my car last year. Did it with scrapers, wire wheels of many assorted shapes and sizes. Then primered the metal, painted 2 top coats, and then undercoated it. Looks great, but you will find out it's one of the BIGGER pains in the #@%&

I put a box fan behind me to blow the dust and debris away from me.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Hi,
I put my 69 mach on a rotisserie, turned the car up-side down and soaked a couple old towels in kerosene. Left the towels lie on the chassis for a couple hours (varies on thickness) and the old undercoating peels right off. A little cleaning with a rag and the old paint/primer remains intact. Move the towel/s to do a section at a time and the results are amazing.
Dave

·
Registered
652 Posts
Forget the torches and wire wheels. Go to Eastwood's
website and order their "Undergone" system. I used it on the firewall of my 67. It's a fomay spray that
softens the binder of the undercoating to a thin consistency which you can then scrape off my hand
using a stiff putty knife. Hardly any fumes either. The system comes with cleaner/degreaser to use after
scraping to get the last of the gunk off. Their catalog makes it look like you can wipe the stuff off with
a paper towel - it's not quite that easy. But you can scrape by hand without having to resort to the wire
wheel. I was happy with the results.

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band: Brickyard Blues

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Simple green and some soaking time! The stuff falls right apart!

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=11942550&p=43703435.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts