Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks, Laurie_S for the tip to use gasoline and a plastic scraper. I cleaned the underside of the damaged 68 fender, removing all the undercoating. A gas-soaked rag to transfer the gas and the scraper removed most of it; cleaned up with the gassed rag. Final cleanup with Purple stuff. Took about 30 minutes.

I did this outside the garage in the open; had no electrical components nearby; smokes inside the garage. Poured a small amount of gas into a metal pan for oil changes, and used safety glasses and a respirator.

I should have used latex gloves...anyone know how to clean grease from under the fingernails?

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Would you believe time cures all?

65 Hi-Po F/B (7 yr resto)
67 GTA F/B (small block) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA), TX
MCA 27479
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575609&a=11978710&p=43914197.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Try some nail clippers;)

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
After you shower/bathe and have your fingers good and wet, drag those fingers like claws across a soap bar. Scrub across thos things with a finger nail cleaning brush or good stiff toothbrush. Any remaining residue will require you to head back out side and crank up the air compressor. Hook it up to a pressure pot and sand blast under each finger nail for 5 - 10 seconds. Call EMS. They'll clean those fingers REALLY clean in preparation for surgery.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'd like to see how long those latex gloves would last around gasoline. As the old timers would say when someone was dirty from working, "it's honest dirt". Dirty hands from a mustang are "honest hands". Enjoy the dirty nails and as we used to say on the farm after working hogs...."don't eat fried chicken."

Food for thought: Just think, If your weren't where you are you would be somewhere else.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I use a product called "Invisible Gloves." It comes in a yellow plastic container with a big dirty handprint on the front. Its almost like putting Elmer's glue on your hands but once its dry, you can't tell its there. When you're done working, it washes right off including the dirt oil greese etc. etc...

Problem: Doesn't repel gasoline.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

http://my67heven.tripod.com/emsm.gifI was looking for a restoration of fantasy. I do not want my car to be as it was in 1967. I want it to be as I imagined it in 1967. -John Baird
Got Rust? 1967 A-Code Coupe

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
To remove the grease from under your finger nails, I usually do the mountian of dishes in the sink. My wife taught me that trick years ago. hmmmm......think she was pulling my leg?

66 Coupe, Sauterne Gold (aka goose sh** green) rust bucket
order parts...wait....parts arrive....wait....look at parts...wait....scratch crotch...wait....look at rust bucket...sigh...scratch again

G

·
0 Posts
Seriously, I dunno about the latex, but in the Printmaking room, we used a lot of hefty chemicals, lacquer thinner and the like, And we'd use kitchen dishwashing gloves. But you'd look like a doofus with bright yellow gloves working on your stang.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

G

·
0 Posts
I painted my engine bay last week, and my paint gun got clogged. In the process of trying to clear the gun, I got black paint all over the garage (Air hose is not the proper way to clear a clogged line) and all over my hands. I've scrubbed my hands with laquar thinner, and taken a week of baths, and there's still black on the back of my hands.

http://members.tripod.com/tangdar/
'67 Coupe project car (Did I say project car? I meant pile of rust)
http://www.americainter.net/~fevans/tangdar_flintstone.jpg

·
Administrator
19,476 Posts
Ask SWMBO for some nail polish remover. Soak a cottonball with it and scrape under your nails. Works every time and it's safer than lacquer thinner. Latex gloves wouldn't have worked with the gasoline, you need heavy duty cleaning gloves like Ace Hardware sells.

I love it when a plan comes together!

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod</font color=blue>
[color:white]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=white>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Home Depot sells chemical resistant gloves too - all shapes and sizes. they had so many different types it almost damaged my mind forever.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I use a set of heavy rubber "stripping gloves" whenver I want to stay clean. (***pasties not included***G*). They can take on stripper, POR-15, etc....
The lightweight latex variety glove won't hold up for long, but can be bought in bulk and replaced often. Good for use when painting, etc.
BTW, Eastwood makes an undercoating remover that's supposed to be pretty good. A lot more expensive than a gassed rag, though.
For really lovely hands, a shot of mineral spirits, followed by some Gojo (let marinate for 5 minutes), and finally a thorough basting with a stiff nail brush usually works. ha ha Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts