Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips? Heat gun? Scrape? Paint thinner?
Product Sleeve Grey Collar Beige

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Coupe plane Jane 6 cyl manual
205 Posts
I used a razor blade where I could. Cleaned up with 3M adhesive remover. Not a fun job.

I used the raw material felts (i.e. not pre-cut or pre-glued). Cut one piece to form an L shape for floor and one side, then a thinner strip for the other vertical section.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
7,501 Posts
I also used a blade for the sides and had a sharp chisel that fit nicely in the bottom. I bought the replacement strips from NPD but I cut them to size to install in 3 pieces. 2 for the sides and then the bottom piece. Worked nicely for me. The replacements are very sticky, a one shot deal that's why I decided to do it in sections.

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
369 Posts
Maybe some solvent then heat to soften up the glue ? My preferred method is a wire wheel - bench mounted if possible, die grinder if not.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
As above. I just did mine a couple of months ago. Most of the felt can be peeled out. What was left I removed with a small old chisel that fit right in the bottom. Just scrape as much out as you can. I used the replacement felts with the adhesive already on. Cut into three strips after measuring and installed the floor first and the sides second. Pretty easy.

Reactions: Caper50

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
7,501 Posts
Russ, would be a good idea too to grab a can or 2 of cavity wax. I spray it in crevices and the back side of panels that will be covered up. It is great to seal against moisture down the line. It will run a bit when 1st sprayed but sets up rather quickly and any that drips where you don't want it, easily wipes up. They usually come with a spray wand to for hard to reach spots like between the wheel house and quarter panel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts