Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am debating on what to do around the back window of my 69the rust has not gone all the way through but I don't want it to come back. can I just grind it down and skim bondo over it or maybe fiberglass. I am new to bodywork so excuse the lack of knowledge. I know I need to replace the door skins because the rust is all the way through on the one and the other has a hole in it where someone dropped something against it. thanks in advance. I have pictures I can post if it would help.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You definitely need to remaove every bit of rust on body metal before painting it...

The door skin is crimped onto the shell.....there are removal and installation tools (eastwood sells em) and patience will be a must to get them on without crimp marks

dont be surprised if the door shell edge is rusty and be prepared to treat it thoroughly to prevent future rust....I'm planning on painting the edge of my door shells with corroless when I start the "body phase"

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If the rust is not too bad around the window, you could remove as much rust as possible, then treat with POR-15. You'll need enough metal to get a good seal with the rubber window, gasket though. You can bondo/fiberglass over the POR-15, but you need to really scuff it up good first or it won't adhere.

I painted my entire hood and my son's entire deck lid with POR-15 before they were top coated, and they came out great and no signs of any rust comming through a year later on my '66 and 1 1/2 years on my son's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts