Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be repainting my engine tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. This will be the first time I've ever done something like this without any help, and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for any advice! ::

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, should have specified. The engine is in the car, and yes it has oil on it, its my daily driver. I don't plan on taking too much apart, I would just like to do it by taping stuff off. My friend recentley did this to his engine, and it looks brand new. (Hence why I decided to do it. Can't have his engine look nicer than mine) ::

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
As you know paint will not stick to oil and some of the solvents are oil based not to mention the oil that in the cast. take it to the car wash spray a engine degreaser on it cover the dizzy spary the degreaser on a cold moter let it sit and spray it off. then take it home and clean with acetone make sure you are using the proper ppe(personal protection equipment)acetone is a non oil base solvent
prime then paint use a hight temp paint
oh if you have leaky valve covers replace the gaskets before degreasing
good luck chris

·
Registered
758 Posts
Actually, the best degreasing/paint prep solution I know of is nonchlorinated brake cleaner. Eats everything, with a little brush work will even take off hardened blobs, and leaves the surface absolutely ready for paint as soon as it evaporates.

Very nasty stuff to get on your skin, though, so wear gloves and eye protection, stay out of the splash and do the job in small batches so you don't breathe too much of the crud.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Aluminum foil works great as a tarp for keeping paint from where it should not be because it will keep its bent/krinkled shape, unlike newspaper or a sheet.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
just becareful chemical solvents are no joke wear goggles a apron and chemical gloves safety first no need to lose an eye. the price of these items are nothing compared to chemical injury
chris

·
Registered
771 Posts
Take a look at this link. I am guessing that your engine compartment looks similar to the one they started with. Good luck and if you have access to a digital camera share before and after pictures with us.

Engine Detailing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts