Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. Having trouble painting the inserts on my newly acquired SSteel Wheels. (Argent Paint for early '65 14X5's)
Trouble is, I can't seem to quite tape off the inserts uniformly to matching look for each insert portion to be painted. Has anyone created a template or other cutout to cover the whole wheel with cutouts for each area to be painted? Any suggestions for trying to get each insert painted with straight edges and smooth curves as original? Hope this makes sense!

best,

Drew

G

·
0 Posts
I think that eastwood has masking decals just for this job. They also have the proper paint.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I purchased paint and template to restore some original painted Magnum wheels for my 70" from Eastwood. I just looked in the latest catalog and didn't see any templates for Styled Steel wheels. When I paint something that detailed I use fine line tape to form the edges. You can pick it up at any quality auto paint shop. It takes time and patience but the finish is well worth the trouble.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
There is a painters tape that you can get that they use when adding graphics or flames to a car. It's flexable, thin and when you remove it, it leaves a very smooth line without disturbing the new paint. Also a trick I learned in the service when we painted small stuff on the jets, and misc. stuff that was sometime hard to get to and cover with paper, we would tape off the area, and then lay a coat of vasoline over the areas inside the tape we didn't want to get painted. After shooting the paint, and letting the it dry, we would take a rag and wipe off the vasoline, and then remove the tape. Worked great! I've even done a couple sets of finned and raised letter valve covers this way. Saves a lot of time in having to try and paper everything off, and then hope you didn't miss a opening.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Drew,

First, are you looking for that reproduction wheel look or the original Ford look? The reproduction wheels have a sharp paint edge where the original wheel painted surfaces were not masked off with tape. Rather a masking template that did not stick to the wheel was used. So the paint edges were not very sharp. You can see areas where the template did not sit flat on my NOS styled steel wheels (these have never been repainted).

My recommendation is to make a pattern out of thick non-corrugated cardboard for one of the painted surface areas. Use an exacto knife to cut the pattern and you can even use sandpaper to smooth the curves. The idea is to use the outside pattern, not the insert piece that is cut out. Using a gloved hand to hold the template flat on the wheel "spokes", spray the insert. Repeat 4 more times for that wheel and move on to the next. Any over spray can be cleaned up with lacquer thinner or fine steel wool.

Regards,

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
You guys are sure making an easy job hard ! Go ahead and spray the area carefully then take lacquer thinner and a rag and clean off the excess .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great ideas Pete, Whizco. I really want a concourse look. I also noted that the original paint wasn't perfect, kind of feathered, especially in the outer curves. I have tried, but really can't seem to get the template right. Someone ought to sell a plastic cut-out template in the catalogs for painting these rims!

I just got some good thin masking/detailing tape at a PPG Autopaint store and some more Argent paint. I'm going to try one more time with creating a template. I'm even thinking of trying some clear plastic from vinyl curtain in my RV that I hate anyway!
best,

Drew

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks on the idea for the decals...I called Eastwoods, nothing that would help, except the paint. If I could just make a plastic mold...I'd sell it!

Drew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts