Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to the crack in my windshield... local repairshop wanted $20 to come out and just give me an estimate so i figured i would ask here first... it is the original windshield so i like that, but not too attached to it.. more concerned about wasting the $$$ on a new Chinese knock-off

Windshield crack - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don't think you really have an option. In my case, within a few days, the crack spread across the entire windshield. Of course, this was during extreme summer heat at the beach. Either way, though, the crack will only get bigger.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,634 Posts
You have to get a new one. The only issues I've heard of with lower priced windshields is that they tend to overuse their molds. IIRC you can make only about 20K windshields before you have to make a new mold. Beyond that you tend to start seeing slight distortions in the glass. Usually you really have to look hard to spot these though. You only really get them on high production glass. Like 1980-96 Ford trucks all use the same glass and a LOT of them are still on the road. So glass for them is a good seller. Not so many folks buying '60's Mustang windshields and there are several different manufacturers. Odds are good that no matter who you get one from it will be a good quality piece. Hard to go wrong spending a bit more for a Carlite glass though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses gents! I figured i wouldnt be able to repair it, but it was worth the thought... ill attempt to find a quality carlite

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
There's quite a few places out there.....

On this link, check the last item at the bottom of the page-

Online Store

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Thats a fair price too. I may have to get one of those later on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts