Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tab the holds the Ashtray in place in my console is worn. The ashtray will stay in place when the lid is up but when the lid is down the ashtray rises out of it postion. Is there a repair that I can do to make that little tab hold the Ashtray down? This is on the long console in a 1965.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
A lady in my club had a similar problem, she was missing the side ledge that held the ashtray in place. From what I remember her saying she used the cardboard from a hard pack of cigarettes, (doubled over I think) sized it, cut it to shape (just 1 side was broken on hers), painted it to match and then glued it in place with epoxy. I believe she used a thin layer of bondo on to remove the seam lines before painting.

I could not tell which side she had fixed until she pulled out a mirror and let me see the underside.

Hope you can use this idea

SprintCC

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I've had good luck repairing the brittle plastic of consoles with sheet metal and glue - on the underside where you won't see it when mounted. The glue I've used is super - E6000 (from hobby stores).

With a properly cut/fit/glue repair, after painting to match the rest of the console the repair is almost not noticeable.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Use some JB Weld with some scrap plastic. Worked great. Remeber to sand lightly before it completely cures. Will become hard as a rock. Overkill maybe but it worked. Goof luck with yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts