Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how possible is it to save the top of the cowl and reuse? Are there any other parts that need to be purchased besides the cowl in making this repair, such as the fender to cowl brackets, etc.

also my front suspension is all origional as far as i know. in looking at the kits for upgrading the front end, there is a lot of options. since i am on a budget, what origional parts can be cleaned and reused. i know that the springs are shot, the bushings etc, just trying to get the best i can without having to replace everything new. thanks for you help

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
It's very possible to save the top of the cowl. Just be careful when removing it.

You can rebuild your upper and lower control arms with new ball joints, rubber bushings, and UCA shaft. You'll probably need new spring perches and strut rod bushings.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'd buy new LCAs, and you can decide for yourself on ball joints for the uppers or new UCAs entirely.

On a moderate budget, I'd do the Shelby/Arning drop (free, except for a drill bit and time), and replace the spring perches with OpenTracker's roller perches, new LCAs, new ball joints (with or without upper arms), shock, springs and strut rod bushings. (There are also instructions and a kit for how to make the roller perches yourself, but there's no way it makes sense timewise for me to go that route, as I'm VERY slow at things like that.)

If you're going for a full rebuild: Consider all the "male" parts of taper joints to be worn out and replace them all, IMO (possible exception being the center link). OpenTracker also sells a steering rebuild kit with a roller idler arm that will get you most everything you need at once for steering.

Reason to replace it all at once is so you know where you're starting and that you can get it aligned once and be done with it, instead of replacing some parts, aligning it, and finding you need more parts and another alignment.

If you can get confidence that the ball joints are OK, you certainly don't HAVE to replace them, but at this point, if original, they're over 40 years old and probably overdue...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
IMO, there isn't alot to be saved by trying to reuse some the original parts, at least not enough to justify the additional work and/or frustration of trying to deal with old rusty parts unless it's the type of work you've done many times already and properly centering a new shaft in an old UCA or putting a new bushing in the LCA or spring perch is something you can do without swearing at it for 1/2 hour. The cost savings of buying a complete kit that includes new upper and lower arms ready to bolt on (as well as all the other pieces needed for a suspension rebuild) makes the kit a popular choice. It really doesn't cost that much more than getting a kit that just has the ball joints and shafts instead of complete arms.

About the only thing that doesn't routinely get replaced in a rebuild is the strut rod itself because the strut rod bushings are fairly easy to change out and unless the strut rod is bent or cracked there isn't a real need to replace it. Everything else, springs, spring perches, upper and lower arms, and tie rods usually all get changed out with new parts.

As one poster mentioned, the roller perches from Opentracker are a good investment, and in fact you can get a complete suspension kit from him in any level from stock to total race components and he's a great guy to do business with.

When comparing prices for these kits don't just automatically chose the cheapest price, there are many different suppliers for some of these parts are they are not all equal in quality. Opentracker stands behind what he sells and even if you just get all stock replacement parts you know you'll be getting good quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for the advise. it just makes more sense to get the kit and have piece of mind that all is new,

which kit would be best for my 67 coupe with a 289. it will just be a weekend/nice weather day driver. i have no plans on taking it to a track.. i plan on doing the drop as mentioned, and i want the stance lower than stock. the rear had new springs put on a few years back and gave it the raked look, i dont particularly want to keep that look. new springs in the front im hoping will level it back out.

can someone explain the difference between the roller perches and spring perches. are the ones that daze sells cheaper because you have to put it together...

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have a mix of OpenTracker and StreetOrTrack parts on my car and I'm very happy with both vendors. Some info from Shaun's site about the roller perches: http://www.streetortrack.com/1967-Mustang-front-suspension-kit-Stage-2-pr-24086.html

That'll get you most of you want for suspension and this will get you what you need for steering: http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/steeringkit/

The roller perches rotate much more freely than the stock parts, meaning the suspension parts are working "naturally" as opposed to being all bound up. They're pretty labor intensive to build, which is why I just bought mine (to save time, spend $$$).

Can't go wrong with either vendor, though they carry slightly different parts selection. (Shaun was very good at working with me to educate me on my options and help answer questions on my suspension and brake rebuild/upgrade project that I'm right in the middle of now.)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I rebuilt my '67 coupe front end pretty much stock components and wish I would have gone with the extra expense of the roller perches then, the perches allow the suspension to move with changing road surface. Try moving your rubber perches off the car even in a vice! the rollers spin freely so they're not fighting or slowing the suspensions response to curves, etc. I'm installing the rollers now.

I bought one of the stock replacement kits from MU or CJPony or NPD, one of those.

If it helps you any I have 4 1/2 leaf mideyes in the rear and put 560 1" drop springs in the front with the Shelby/Arning 1" drop (only adds ~1/4" drop at the fender) and my wheel well lip sits @24.5" with 15" tires if this is the look you're going for. I'm level within 1/4" F/R.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z192/jkoed/1967%20Mustang%20Coupe/Rtsidelowered.jpg http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z192/jkoed/1967%20Mustang%20Coupe/Rtfrontcornerlowered.jpg
Jon

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
+1 OpenTracker

I bought the whole shebang from OpenTracker. Front and rear, shocks, springs, street UCAs, street LCAs, shackles, sway bar kit, bushings, roller perches, and steering kit.

They're a busy shop so don't expect an immediate quote response. They take the time to consider your needs and build you a customized suspension. They source the UCAs/LCAs from other vendors but inspect and adjust them before shipping them out.

Great customer service too. When they shipped to me, some of the order wound up on the floor of a post office depot somewhere and they made no qualms about replacing the parts. Then there's the after-sales support where they answer your installation questions pretty quickly. Good folks, and you get a free T-Shirt to boot! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts