Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new at this board. I bought a 1967 Mustang, it needs a good amount of restoration. The first thing I plan on addressing are the window frames. They have lots of rust, and little holes in them. The reason I can see them so clearly, is becuase both the front and rear windsheid are out. Has anyone dealt with this problem. I figured I am going to have to just cut out the bad pieces, and cut some sheet metal, form it the way I want and weld it in. Any info on this would be great.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Yup, you pretty much have the process correct. Just use a strong enough/heavy enough gauge steel. You might want to try and find some preformed channel stock that might be easier than bending your own.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jason, I have the same problem. I plan on doing the same to mine. You could also cut from a donor car. I have also seen a place that does repairs using spray welding??? You need to fill in the rest of your profile so we know where you are. there are alot of very nice people all over the country who would be willing to give you a hand. Welcome to the forum!!
Mike

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome!

I had my share of rust repair and then some with my coupe!

I sandblasted my car, and when doing so, some of the small "pin-hole" sections turned out to be larger issues. I had to cut and weld a lot of small filler pieces around my window frames (especially the back).

If you need any specific advice, I will be glad to try to help...

Glenn

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah,
I got the same problem with my 69. I have found the easiet way to do is to get the shape and fit it in, better a little small than large. Then tack in 3 or 4 places to hold then as you weld you can hammer into place and shape. This working in the corners where it needs to be rounded. Looks like I almost know what I am doing. But I have a whole lot more welding to do, but have replaced floor pans, toe board and some partial pieces here and there but still have bull load to go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate everyones help with this, I'll be posting more often, thats just the start of the restoration process. What gauge metal am I going to need to use? I have a couple welders, and have some welding skills(hopefully they will get better the more welding I do) so its all basically a matter of me getting the right material and going to work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody have any idea? I measured, and it seemed to be roughly 12 gauge. For those that have done this, what did you use? I'm just trying to get some what of an idea before I go to work myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts