Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to fix a bad oil leak on the 65. I checked everything today and the leak is eith at the rear seal or the rear oil pan gasket on my cobra oil pan. The flex plate and surrounding areas are clean and dry so Im hoping that the rear oil pan gasket is leaking. That being said, does anyone have a gasket they would recommend for the old cobra pan? I think I used a 4 piece gasket when I installed the pan. I would also consider swapping to another pan if you have any recommendations. I bracket race the car but Im not sure that I need the T pan. Also not sure if I need to switch pickup if I switch pan. Anyone use a single piece rubber gasket with aluminum cobra pan?

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Bartl referenced the current "hot ticket" gasket.
If the pan is original and not repo, those are notorious for leaking.
We used to glue the cork style factory gaskets at JBA back in the
day, using Ford's weatherstrip adhesive. (yellowish, sticky, probably
carcinogenic and obsolete now)
The rails of the real Cobra pans are super thin and a bit wavy, that's
why sealing is a pain. If the rails are thick, you're probably looking
at a repo pan.....

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill try the gasket bartl recommends. Im going to try dropping the cross member and the center link so I can drop the pan. Anyone else swap a pan gasket without pulling engine?

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Done it several times. Much easier than pulling the engine.

·
Registered
472 Posts
No need to pull engine. Drop crossmember, center link, and pull the starter. I don't believe the gasket Bartl lists is the correct one ... will work for a normal pan but not the Cobra T-pan. For the Cobra T-pan, I would recommend the Fel-Pro OS34508R 1-piece gasket. T-pans require a later year gasket due to the flange.

Regarding oil pans, the 289 with Boss 302 baffles and pickup is working well for me:
C5ZZ-6675/22-K Oil Pan W/ Boss 302 Baffle/Pick-Up 260/289/302 65-73

·
Registered
34,175 Posts
No need to pull engine. Drop crossmember, center link, and pull the starter. I don't believe the gasket Bartl lists is the correct one ... will work for a normal pan but not the Cobra T-pan. For the Cobra T-pan, I would recommend the Fel-Pro OS34508R 1-piece gasket. T-pans require a later year gasket due to the flange.

Regarding oil pans, the 289 with Boss 302 baffles and pickup is working well for me:
C5ZZ-6675/22-K Oil Pan W/ Boss 302 Baffle/Pick-Up 260/289/302 65-73
That is the later (newer) gasket with steel reinforcement and grommets...

More Information for VICTOR REINZ OS32491

1 - 10 of 10 Posts