Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've quaranitined myself out in the garage and committed to getting my 66 200ci Mustang back on the road. Beyond some minor repairs, I also replaced the head gasket. When I reinstalled the non-adjustable rocker arm assembly, I noticed that as I torqued down the bolts, evenly, the valves were being opened. This is understandable on some valves, but not #1 at TDC. When I loosened the bolts and slid in some spacers at 0.070" thickness, the valves are seated with minimal rocker arm play. Tighten the assembly down to the head and you can blow wind straight through the intake and exhaust easily (made a spark plug blow tube). Before I pulled the head off, it did have a belchy tone and even spit air/fuel out the carb; kind of makes sense now. I did test the valves when the head was off and when the rocker arms are off I can blow a blood vessel blowing through the plug.

I did notice a few of the lifters are a bit squishy and others firm. Being hydaulic, do they just need to be equalized under oil pressure or should I pull this head off and swap those out while it's fairly easy? Is it just a matter of getting .063 shorter pushrods? I want to avoid dumping a ton of money into a new rockers. First timer with the head gasket change and don't want to crank this thing over without at least throwing the questions out to experience.

Thanks in advance for input. Member years ago but lost sign-in - good to be back.

Ben

1966 Ivy Green Mustang Coupe
200ci Weber2V DUI Headers T5

·
Registered
926 Posts
If the #1 valves open when you're tightening down the rocker assembly, your timing mark is probably at TDC exhaust stroke (or you have a worn timing chain). If you already have the head on and want to replace lifters, you'll have to pull the head again. Hydraulic lifters can leak down when they sit under spring pressure for some time.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have the head off my 200, I can get the lifters to pull slightly up, but I cant get them out of the bore.

Im replacing the engine, but wanted to look at #2 exhaust lifter, I think it is bad or the cam lobe is wiped.

Im going to replace the cam and lifters, timing chain, WP, oil pump and try to sell it. The cylinders look good, standard bore, no oil leaks or blow by. I will put $100 into it and try to sell for $300. If it doesnt sell, off to scrap it goes.

·
Registered
35,477 Posts
I have the head off my 200, I can get the lifters to pull slightly up, but I cant get them out of the bore.
Hose 'em down with some carburetor cleaner or lacquer thinner to get rid of the gum and varnish and work them a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the #1 valves open when you're tightening down the rocker assembly, your timing mark is probably at TDC exhaust stroke (or you have a worn timing chain). If you already have the head on and want to replace lifters, you'll have to pull the head again. Hydraulic lifters can leak down when they sit under spring pressure for some time.
I did check that it wasn't exhaust stroke, if it was the #6 would be TDC of compression. No dice. As far as the worn timing chain, at no point in rotation before or after TDC does the pushrod lower so I gotta figure I'm at the bottom of the lobe.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Hose 'em down with some carburetor cleaner or lacquer thinner to get rid of the gum and varnish and work them a bit.
If you are going to squirt stuff in there, may as well man-up and use brake cleaner. Nothing is going into battle with brake cleaner and win.

·
Registered
35,477 Posts
If you are going to squirt stuff in there, may as well man-up and use brake cleaner. Nothing is going into battle with brake cleaner and win.
Except petroleum gum and varnish....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up taking the head back off and pulled out a lifter. It was solid. I get that they should have resistance but the simple fact you have to get the retainer clip on/off means there should be some give. Put it in a press and gave it some gentle love, squeezed out a ton of old oil and what looked to be some debris. Cleaned it out and it is definitely improved. Ended up taking them all out and found some nasty milkshake oil mix from a head gasket issue in a few of them. I'm glad I went back, kicking myself for not pulling them when the head was off the first time. Did check the cam lobes, smooth and clean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As an update: Finally got the new head gasket, reinstalled the lifters after cleaning out the sludge and soaking them in oil. Stuck lifters were definitely the culprit, rocker assembly seated perfectly. I'm betting a couple of these were behind an issue I was chasing when the car was running. lol. Hoping to start it up by next weekend. Thanks for all the input. Ben

20200426_074113.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts