Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chrome GT wheels are slightly pitted. I can buy new ones for around $120 each. What might it cost to have the old one's re-chromed? Would it make sense to buy new ones?

68 California Special- Acapulco Blue- Will someone please sell me one Marchal fog lamp lense?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Buy new ones. I have had a few things re-chromed and let me tell you , its not cheap. I looked at having the chrome around my fold down seat re-chromed. When the guy told me 800.00 I almost fainted. I wound up taking the new chrome trim available for 65-66 and only re-chroming the parts that are different for a 70. I saved about 500.00 this way. The only good thing about having things re-chromed is that Ford did not do a very good job with the original chrome. I was told that that chroming is a three step process and Ford only did two of the steps. So I think that the re-chromed stuff will last longer , but it sure is expensive.

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Proper way to rechrome a GT wheel is to separate the inner and outer halves, rechrome the inner then rerivit together. Expensive believe me. You are better off to buy new ones.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Rechroming is expensive..unless you are absolutely stuck and a new part is not available, I would buy replace.

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

1 - 4 of 4 Posts