Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has replaced the original fuel pump with an electronic one?? Any benefit?? Cost?? I have an inline and the pump is working just fine, just thought I'd ask around for some ideas.. thanks.. Martin ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The benefits are more reliable fuel delivery, especially at high RPM's, vapor lock is damn near impossible with an electric pump, and there's no need to "prime" the carb when starting a car with dry float bowls.

The downside is that they are typically more difficult to install and they are NOISY.

I'm running the Holley Red electric pump in my '66.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replaced mine with an electric pump. I believe it was a Masters brand from Autozone. It was fairly cheap. I did it because I was having trouble with the cam eccentric actuating the pump correctly. Probably wrong eccentric put on by PO. I got tried of dealing with it and put an electric fuel pump on.

However, to answer your question if its a stock engine and the mechanical pump is working fine, I wouldn't mess with it personnally. I think if the engine is stock there probably isn't a compelling reason. I only did it because I was sick of trying to figure out why my pump wasn't being actuated properly.

RestoRod69

·
Registered
359 Posts
I went the other direction. The PO had installed an electric fuel pump. It was marginally noisy, and failed shortly after I bought the car. There was also no inertia switch, so if I wrecked it would just keep pumping gas.

I replaced it with a similar electric fuel pump, and this one was unbearably noisy. I got fed up and switched the car back to a mechanical fuel pump. Safer, quieter, and just as effective for my application. I don't regret it at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts