Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm down to removing my harmonic balancer due to having to get the timing cover off. The rubber cushiony part (technical, huh?) in the balancer is hard and cracked. I'm assuming that I should get a new one, yes? This is a '65 289 and I would imagine it's the original balancer.

Also, since I'm this far do you recommend replacing timing chain and water pump. I'm also probably going to drop the pan, repaint it and replace the gasket WHILE I'M AT IT. Ugh.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
I would replace the timing chain with a true dual roller chain set while you are at that level. If you drop the oil pan you may want to consider a one piece gasket. If your water pump worked fine before hand, I'd just check it out, clean it up and re-use the same pump. I bought a pump and with a vane type impeller when I rebuilt my engine just to have new everything. For some reason that pump wouldn't pump under pressure (when the engine got hot) and the lower radiator hose would blow off. I ended up putting the working pump I removed, a Ford C30E pump with a circular impeller, and it worked fine. Check your oil pressure, if it's fine don't bother with the oil pump either.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I'm down to removing my harmonic balancer due to having to get the timing cover off. The rubber cushiony part (technical, huh?) in the balancer is hard and cracked. I'm assuming that I should get a new one, yes? This is a '65 289 and I would imagine it's the original balancer.

Also, since I'm this far do you recommend replacing timing chain and water pump. I'm also probably going to drop the pan, repaint it and replace the gasket WHILE I'M AT IT. Ugh.

Thanks,
Paul
Hi,

While you are at it, send both the pan and timing cover out to be powder coated.
Definitely, replace the balancer!
Good Luck

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Hi,

While you are at it, send both the pan and timing cover out to be powder coated.
Definitely, replace the balancer!
Good Luck
I know the pan should be black but wasn't the timing cover unpainted? Do they have power coat clear?

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I know the pan should be black but wasn't the timing cover unpainted? Do they have power coat clear?
Timing cover was black. The engine was painted after assembly. The engine was gloss black engine paint, the starter, brackets and pulleys were semi-gloss black, and the fuel pump, carburetor, and distributor were not painted.

Of course, the valve covers and air cleaner were gold. On the 289HP, the valve covers and top of the air cleaner were chrome.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts

I just knew Mr Gt would chime in with the correcto info!

Look just behind the water pump!` That's powder coat. Very Hard to impervious invasion.
I`think having both the pan and the cover coated was less than $100.
Super Looking too!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts