Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I just replaced the ignition switch and key cylinder And now the car won’t start. It cranks and if I keep trying the car eventually start. Do you think it is a defective ignition switch?
the engine was recently rebuilt and all new components and had no issues at all prior to changing the ignition switch. I am frustrated as Iknow I ruined something but don’t know how to diagnose and my electric skills are limited.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started before ? Why did you change it ?

So why did you change it ?
I broke the bezel that is holding the switch when I connected the radio wire to the stud. I replaced it and now the car crank and it is about to start but won’t

·
Premium Member
12,017 Posts
Check to see if you have spark while it is cranking but not starting. Connect a timing light to the large wire between the distributor cap and the coil or pull that wire out of the cap and hold it near a ground while somebody cranks the engine.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
What awhtx said... and I'd also be looking at the harness for something either loose or not connected properly. When you're trying to start it and nothing is happening, but continue to crank it, it might shake the connection back into place and make it start.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
294 Posts
perhaps when you replaced the ignition switch you accidentally twisted and broke a wire or two on the back of the switch

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all turned out to be a defective battery. What battery do you recommend for 66 mustang ?

·
Premium Member
12,017 Posts
Group 24F is the correct size. Up until a year or so Group 24F batteries had "lugs" on the ends of the battery at the bottom. The hold-down clamp on a '65/'66 tightened down onto that lug to hold the battery in the tray. Since new 24F batteries don't have that lug you will have to buy a " '67 style hold-down clamp" that all of the Mustang parts vendors sell.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
If you decide to go with a sealed AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery, the Optima 34R has the bottom "lugs".

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Could also be a "Brand-X" non Ford (Motorcraft or Autolite) starter solenoid... That's usually the culprit...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts