Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In doing work redoing the heater core, I guess I left the door ajar for too long and ran the battery down. The battery was put in by the Previous Owner in 2012 so I decided to just replace the battery. Anyway, I went to Oreilly's to get a new battery and picked up one of theirs that would work. The battery does work but does not fit the battery locking clamp on the side of the battery. What do you guys do for a replacement battery that will work with the battery mount?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
This is a common topic. Very few battery manufacturers include the notch on the side for the clamp anymore. Some have found one at Tractor Supply I heard. What kind was your old one that had the notch? Some people have installed a 67-68 battery tray in the 65-66 and used the 67-68 style clamp. Some spend several hundred dollars on a concours reproduction Autolite battery. Some use a bungee cord to hold in the Brand X. There is little in between.

·
Registered
603 Posts
There are very few battery manufacturers that have the hold down foot you need molded into the battery. The only one that I've seen lately was an AC Delco battery at my local menards. My battery doesn't have the foot molded into the case so I split a piece of fuel line and slid it over the edge of the hold down, then I got the hold down as tight to the battery as I could before I tightened it down. It's not a perfect solution but the battery is secure in the tray.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I bought the 67 style tray made for a 65 and used the 67 hold down.

That option gives you the most choices for a battery.

I bought a AGM battery, painted it black, put a repop Autolite top on it with repop cables. It doesnt look original by any means but its nice and clean and looks period correct-ish.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Group 48 in my '65 and it has the lug on the end for the original style clamp. The posts are recessed into the case so that the top of the post is flush with the top of the battery. As you are looking at the battery in the attached link the + post is on your right, same as the Group 24F battery.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search/1965/ford/mustang?q=48prm
According to the O'Reilly site, that battery doesn't go with a '65 or a '66.

·
Registered
34,274 Posts
The BCI Group 46/H6 battery lists the same dimensions as the 24F... 10-3/4 x 6-13/16 x 9... and it looks like Advance Auto has a variety... Also, WalMart lists a group H6 in the EverStart brand but I'd want to put a tape measure on it first...

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Yeah, this subject received a lot of hits and recent as a few months ago. I reported, at that time, in June 2018 I purchased a GRP 24F battery from Battery warehouse. It had the base extension. My previous was an Exide MT-24F, it too, had the base extension for the base clamp.
Either if these two Companys near you?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, this subject received a lot of hits and recent as a few months ago. I reported, at that time, in June 2018 I purchased a GRP 24F battery from Battery warehouse. It had the base extension. My previous was an Exide MT-24F, it too, had the base extension for the base clamp.
Either if these two Companys near you?
No battery warehouse. Not sure who your second company is.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
No battery warehouse. Not sure who your second company is.
My Exide battery brand was purchased from an Interstate Battery company. If this helps.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
If you chose the AGM, do your research regarding maintaining it during a long term off season storage. AGM's require special charging equipment, especially, if the charge falls below a certain minimum believed to be 10Vs or less.
I would purchase a high quality battery maintainer designed to cover AGMs in addition to wet cell batteries. This is my current maintainer.....

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you chose the AGM, do your research regarding maintaining it during a long term off season storage. AGM's require special charging equipment, especially, if the charge falls below a certain minimum believed to be 10Vs or less.
I would purchase a high quality battery maintainer designed to cover AGMs in addition to wet cell batteries. This is my current maintainer.....
I like the NOCO Genius models. I have a couple that I use for a 1929 Studebaker (6V) and a 1954 Chevy Truck.

·
Premium Member
10,033 Posts
According to the O'Reilly site, that battery doesn't go with a '65 or a '66.

They say it doesn't fit because the "books" only show a 24F for the '65 Mustang. I can tell you from personal experience that it does fit. If you're not concerned about Concours appearance it works just fine.

I have looked at 24F batteries just about everywhere and all of them that I have seen no longer have the hold down lugs on the ends. Exide recently discontinued the lugs on their 24F. That is the battery most guys were buying because it was easy to peel the Exide sticker off of the side and replace it with an Autolite sticker that along with the replica top piece gave it a Concours appearance.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
A couple months ago I did a search on this site for 24F.

I went to all the places that people bought a 24F with the foot.

Lowes, TSC, HD, Advance.....None of them carried it anymore so I switched to the 67 style tray and hold down.

Now I have a AGM that will far outlast a lead acid battery and with a topper on it it looks no different to the casual observer than a high dollar repop.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
They say it doesn't fit because the "books" only show a 24F for the '65 Mustang. I can tell you from personal experience that it does fit. If you're not concerned about Concours appearance it works just fine.

I have looked at 24F batteries just about everywhere and all of them that I have seen no longer have the hold down lugs on the ends. Exide recently discontinued the lugs on their 24F. That is the battery most guys were buying because it was easy to peel the Exide sticker off of the side and replace it with an Autolite sticker that along with the replica top piece gave it a Concours appearance.
Seldom in today's battery books but....
The other one that fits the 65/66 tray is the 22F. Can be tough to find that battery size. Also uses the longer
C2DZ-10718-C battery clamp..... because the 22 case is 1" shorter than the 24 case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts