Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there - got new upper/lower cowls to replace my rusted out mess. Worked on some dry fitting to see how they sat in there. Mostly seems to line up fine, but I have these gaps in the corners (where the brazing is/was).

Is this normal? How should it sit, and whats the best course of action here?

Thanks!!

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1970 Mach 1
1,734 Posts
You could use some long reach clamps to pull the cowl more flush than it is. I think that the use of some sheet metal screws will work and have the strength to pull the metal together.
The cowls on my 70 Mach 1 fit better than that initially, but I still used a bunch of clamps to pull everything together.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool - I'm looking for images of how it looks stock for me to reference, but wanted to make sure I wasn't totally missing something somewhere. I have some...fitment tools....lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Cuts in the corner seams to allow a flat, flush fit, clamps or screws to pull it down, then fill the cuts with weld beads?

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Fix it with Fire! I'd tack the panels in place at the windshield and cowl and test fit the fenders and hood. I wouldn't be trying to clamp or screw the shortage of the panels down if it ends up deforming the exposed part of the upper cowl where it meets the fenders. The gappy part will never show so it doesn't have to look nice. I'd be using OXY acetylene to heat the area and peen it down.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
About how mine was. Its not hard to fit, you line up the top, make a plug weld, then go along with a hammer as you do shaping it to fit the cowl beneath....making another plug weld not far away...using vice grip clamps to keep it all tight as you go. The heat of welding will allow you stretch it a lot farther than you think.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

This is what mine looked like. I did end up bring it down much closer before welding it. The bottom is a Dynacrn that I had powder coated and the top is an original 67 part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts