Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed here before but I wanted to try and get more recent responses that might better reflect what is being sold today. Need to replace my gas cap and looking for feedback from those that have done this relatively recently. Want to stick with an original style cap. Have read the reviews of what is available at CJPP and not enthused.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was considering something similar. My current cap allows fuel to come out if the outside temp is too high and the tank is full. Is this normal? I have a reproduction original style cap from around 2002 that is in a box that I was thinking of swapping on. I looked it over yesterday and I can’t see anything to dislike about it... what do people dislike on the current repop caps?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was considering something similar. My current cap allows fuel to come out if the outside temp is too high and the tank is full. Is this normal? I have a reproduction original style cap from around 2002 that is in a box that I was thinking of swapping on. I looked it over yesterday and I can’t see anything to dislike about it... what do people dislike on the current repop caps?

Thanks,
Rob
They are "vented" gas caps so if you overfill them on a hot day they will leak. On my dad's step driveway they really leaked if you over filled them but it was only .57 cents a gallon so who cared. Modern tanks have room for the fuel to expand and a pressurized cap to keep the fumes in. If the pressure gets too high the cap will bleed off some of the pressure.

This '65 Ranchero was used piece junk I bought and drove for 60,000 miles. It probably had 150,000 miles or more when I got it. I stuck an Edelbrock intake and carb on the old crusty 289 and drove it another 60,000 miles. I think I changed the points one time while I had it. I put the torq thust wheels on it and that's about all I ever did to it. It was just a daily driver. The guy I had bought it from painted it to sell it. The day he sprayed it he sat it out in the sun to dry with a full tank of gas. The fuel got hot and expanded and ran down the quarter panel and ruined his paint job.

This was taken out on El Mirage Dry Lake Bed when I was out there watching the SCTA cars run.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Don't fill it slam full on hot days and it will have some room for the cool fuel and its vapor to expand. My understanding is the tanks, filler pipes and caps are NOT vented, and the pressure causes it to get forced past the tank to neck seal and it dribbles down the tail light panel, the bumper or rear valance panel. A vapor vent can be constructed, but it wasn't worth it to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts